a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Training up to fight for the Legion

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
No point in sending in vids with huge muscular men, or women. Just plain ordinary stuff. Like this article of a retired US Marine breaking the world plank record:

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
img4cc1a0c1565a4.jpg
Beuil in the Alpes maritimes
I did a 4 month gardiennage here
Ski station is just below
There are better images on Facebook that i used to have but i have no account any more.
SKIING is great fun and healthy too
Régiment like 2 REG trains légionnaires how to ski, but if you already know how and can prove so to the Legion recrutement, all the better
This photo i picked up from: Corps d' état - Commune Beuil. There is a good historical write up on the Chalet s / Caserne

Last edited:

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
We haven't heard from our member Oleg for some time, but I believe he hurt his leg on a ski course .
(I think his course took place in the Pyrenees?)

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
A major is not an officer in the French army. He is a Sous officer or an NCO. At one time he was n a corps or category of his own. Now he is the highest ranking NCO.
Does that mean a Legion Major will have come through the ranks and not have been to St Cyr ? , if so roughly how many years would he have served to get to Major ?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Does that mean a Legion Major will have come through the ranks and not have been to St Cyr ? , if so roughly how many years would he have served to get to Major ?
That is correct, He has come up through the ranks. In the case of Major Gerald, Pink floyd would have known him probably as a young sprog out of basic training. they were in the same same section. I knew him as a corporal down in the centre Amphie. And then we were in the same section in Central Africa.
He is of course a high flyer, he was already exceptional at sports in the 3rd Cie REP.

It is possible to become an officer once you have reached the rank of Major. There are only so many posts open to the rank of major - in the legion, in the regulars, I don't know. Once you get to the rank of adjudant chef, it is a choice you have to make. I asked the guy that got me the job in Mali (second time around), James Cunningham, why he didn't go for major. He had spent a record 23 years in the same company, 3rd. Again Pink Floyd knows him. He said why, to be given a job as president of the Sous offs,NCOs or in charge of the service general? When he had done everything he could do in the 3rd Cie, Adj d'unite,- company Sgt major and the chef de section -in James' case chef du centre d'amphibie, he felt it was time to retire.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Just trying to contribute to this community in hopes of one day being able to contribute in some way to the Legion.

I like these simple workouts.... pull-ups, push-ups, burpees, squats, etc....nothing too fancy. These things will get a guy in shape. Oh yeah, and running!
Great stuff Tom. It's what the thread is all about.

Ex-Pongo

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
View attachment 5937
Beuil in the Alpes maritimes
I did a 4 month gardiennage here
Ski station is just below
There are better images on Facebook that i used to have but i have no account any more.
SKIING is great fun and healthy too
Régiment like 2 REG trains légionnaires how to ski, but if you already know how and can prove so to the Legion recrutement, all the better
This photo i picked up from: Corps d' état - Commune Beuil. There is a good historical write up on the Chalet s / Caserne

I learned to ski in Austria with the Brit army. And we trained on mountains that had alot of civvies up there. I do alot of weightlifting and my legs ache worse than anything i've done in a gym after a day on the black slopes. one thing I (we) all noticed was, the skiing girls were all beautiful and toned. Our ski instructor ( a career soldier just retired/professional perve) told us to get a girl that skis, cause you have to be in good nick to ski.

Get fit, hot girls and the beer tastes so much sweeter after a day of skiing. What's not to like?!

Ex-Pongo

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
That is correct, He has come up through the ranks. In the case of Major Gerald, Pink floyd would have known him probably as a young sprog out of basic training. they were in the same same section. I knew him as a corporal down in the centre Amphie. And then we were in the same section in Central Africa.
He is of course a high flyer, he was already exceptional at sports in the 3rd Cie REP.

It is possible to become an officer once you have reached the rank of Major. There are only so many posts open to the rank of major - in the legion, in the regulars, I don't know. Once you get to the rank of adjudant chef, it is a choice you have to make. I asked the guy that got me the job in Mali (second time around), James Cunningham, why he didn't go for major. He had spent a record 23 years in the same company, 3rd. Again Pink Floyd knows him. He said why, to be given a job as president of the Sous offs,NCOs or in charge of the service general? When he had done everything he could do in the 3rd Cie, Adj d'unite,- company Sgt major and the chef de section -in James' case chef du centre d'amphibie, he felt it was time to retire.

Just before I joined the army, I knew a college teacher. He spent 22 years in the REME. He was still a fit lad and sharp. He was a Sergeant Major and got offered Captain but he knocked it back and went civvi. I asked him why? An LE Captain is easy street. He told me he'd go from being a leader of men and running workshops to running a computer at a desk.
His decision makes sense when you think about it.

Ex-Pongo

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
Major Gerald would be quite an officer to serve under ..
Seen videos of him. I am sure I saw him as a poster boy outside Fort de Nogent. Mind you, I may be mistaken. I was hungover and my arse was making buttons at the time.

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
On a brighter side of things, since everything is closed - working out indoors is the best one can do for themselves.
A few tips from Major Gerald:

There is so many videos in which he gives examples of every exercise proformed in the LLE.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Just before I joined the army, I knew a college teacher. He spent 22 years in the REME. He was still a fit lad and sharp. He was a Sergeant Major and got offered Captain but he knocked it back and went civvi. I asked him why? An LE Captain is easy street. He told me he'd go from being a leader of men and running workshops to running a computer at a desk.
His decision makes sense when you think about it.

A lot of WOs' don't like the transition to the officer's mess. They are often used to being top dog in a Sgts mess. They sometimes do not like the idea of associating with callow subalterns and not being senior mess members. Finally the only reason many take promotion is for a better pension.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Best way to train up to be fighting fit for to join the Legion in this time of Coranavirus, is not to die !
It will kill your chances of joining and even if you can manage 7 pull ups and. level 7 on the Luc Léger test