a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Training up to fight for the Legion

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I'm not too sure what is going on here, especially as the comments have been disabled.
The PC is standard in the French army, so anyone looking at the obstacles that they are going over, saying (like me nowadays), there is no way I can do that - you will be trained up to it.
I would like to emphasize that the assault course is at the REP, but it is exactly the same as you will do at Castel, 2 REI, 1 REC. 3 REI etc, or Caylus or Canjuers : last two are French regulars.

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
I'm not too sure what is going on here, especially as the comments have been disabled.
The PC is standard in the French army, so anyone looking at the obstacles that they are going over, saying (like me nowadays), there is no way I can do that - you will be trained up to it.
I would like to emphasize that the assault course is at the REP, but it is exactly the same as you will do at Castel, 2 REI, 1 REC. 3 REI etc, or Caylus or Canjuers : last two are French regulars.
Joe, that‘s Stan G***** ex CRAP on the left. He served 15 years, left with the rank of S/Chef. I think he’s in the Legion reserves now. I left a lot of skin and sweat on that obstacle course. Always great fun during Camerone and Christmas challenges to get the best times (individually and as a company team).

Last edited:

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Those two guys doesn't look like they are fresh from farm.

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
Those two guys doesn't look like they are fresh from farm.
You’ll find that one, maybe both of these fellas are ex REP, and now in the Legion reserves. That’s the reason for the slow pace. One of the tests for the GCP is do the complete course in a certain time. As for myself, I wouldn’t even attempt to walk through this now. I’ve done enough damage to my ankles, knees and lower back. If you’re going to give the Legion a go...then get going. The longer you put it off, the less likely you’ll go.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I know the feeling only too well. Heavy yomping and jumping off LCs' on to rocks now give me gyp. I favoured my right leg/ ankle jumping ashore prior to a cliff assault. Much to my now regret.:cry: However I would not have missed it for anything as a young sprog RM Volunteer.:) As you so eloquently write , the longer anyone puts off going the less likely it is that they will ever turn up at the main gate. Too many dreamers who will never be members of any elite military association.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Although I do go to the gym 4/5 times a week, when I saw that Parcours de combat, I now ask myself what a fool I would make if I tried to do it now. I do have to agree with Pink Floyd and Chas, all the running around with rucksack and jumping from heights, with or without 'chutes takes its toll on your body.
I'm far from being a cripple and don't need any help in getting around, but when I joined at 21... well I was the man ! ;):whistle:
Now at 57...

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Although I do go to the gym 4/5 times a week, when I saw that Parcours de combat, I now ask myself what a fool I would make if I tried to do it now. I do have to agree with Pink Floyd and Chas, all the running around with rucksack and jumping from heights, with or without 'chutes takes its toll on your body.
I'm far from being a cripple and don't need any help in getting around, but when I joined at 21... well I was the man ! ;):whistle:
Now at 57...
As yet lucky. No zimmer frame, walking stick or white stick.:LOL::LOL::LOL:

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
You’ll find that one, maybe both of these fellas are ex REP, and now in the Legion reserves. That’s the reason for the slow pace. One of the tests for the GCP is do the complete course in a certain time. As for myself, I wouldn’t even attempt to walk through this now. I’ve done enough damage to my ankles, knees and lower back. If you’re going to give the Legion a go...then get going. The longer you put it off, the less likely you’ll go.
Join the club! Wait until you hit your sixties 😱 I stay away from the pain killers. And use only muscle cream. And sometimes even that doesn’t work! a few years ago I visited an old mate in Aldershot uk. We were both bitching about our ailments😂 finally he shoved another pint 🍺 in front of me and said..grin and bear it mate but relish the memories!

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Now at 57...
You are young yet Joseph😉

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Joseph 57. That made me realise that I undertook my Commando Course 4 years before you were born. Some of the Directing Staff had been WW2 Cdos.

I believe Pink Floyd was 4 in 1967. Hence it would be 3/4 years before he graced the earth.

I think there a 3 members of the forum who are in their 80s' including 'young Jonny'.

Maybe the Forum keeps us young at heart.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
We didn't hear couple months from Jonny?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
But anyway, getting back to the video that I'd posted on here Tuesday, if you look at the 01'10 point, the obstacle that they are going over is called La planche Irlandaise, or the Irish Plank.
Don't ask me why.
Now that I mention it, I'm not sure if it the Irish plank or Table.

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Australia

Attachments

• 1AD9FD70-6D43-4CBB-BFEC-826884FDE83B.jpeg
    1AD9FD70-6D43-4CBB-BFEC-826884FDE83B.jpeg
    276 KB · Views: 5