Tried, Failed.

Oleg84

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Croatia
Been there for two days, did my medical and sport tests and was shown the door. The Chinese Cpl in charge told me that I was too fat and that if he had been in at the reception he wouldn't have even let me in to try. I am 186 cm and 95 kilograms. There isn't much fat on me but I really could lose a few kilograms. The Cpl also sad that ‘only’ doing the norm is not enough and that I have to do better. I did 7.4 on the beep test (Luc-Léger) and 5 pullups. Norms are lvl 7 on the beep and 4 pullups (the official web page says 3 but in the Legion they still ask for 4).
I think that they didn't let me pass because there was a LOT of people, so they raised the required norms to get rid of the as much people as they could. In those 2 days there were at least 40 candidates and only 5 passed to the next level of selection. On that next level there were about 130 people (more or less). That's in black shirts and sweaters. In rouge (red) section there were about 30 people.
Also big number of people were turned down on medical reasons. Few people had bad teeth and even a few geniuses failed drugs test (!). In my group even 6-7 people had some heart problems. My guess is that it is because medical is right after breakfast which is not really copious (a loaf of bred and some jam) and people drank a giant cup of instant coffee with, it so they get pumped with caffeine.
My next goal is simple. 10, 10, 10 :) : 10 kilos down, lvl 10 on the beep test and 10 pullups. I don't know if I'm going to try again. That depends on what cards life is going to play so I'll just wait, train more and see what the future brings.
And a word of advice. Don't go if you can't do at least lvl 8-9 on the beep test and at least 7-8 pullups. And cut on the coffee in the mornings. You really don't need to drink and eat everything you get in there. Be smart and for God's sake, kids, DON'T DO DRUGS!!
I was in Aubagne so I don't know what it's like in other centers. If you have any questions fell free to ask.

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Norway
Consider yourself a lucky escape, consider yourself a lucky one (to the tune of Oliver Twist). Mate you are lucky not having to do 5 years in the Legion.

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Croatia
Pozdrav,
You tried- and showed balls! Sorry you didn't make the cut, if you will be trying again good luck! You saw first hand what to expect, use it to your advantage if there will be a second try.
Was there any guys over 30, and how did they do - if you had the opportunity to see? What time apox. were you there?
(bio tko još iz domovine ili si bio solo?)

All the best!

jonny

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Norway
Come on, Perun, don't encourage the lad. There must be heaps more fun to do in Croatia than going to France and being a soldier on low pay, lots of hard work, lots of ironing and cleaning, lots of being shouted at.

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Croatia
... on low pay, lots of hard work, lots of ironing and cleaning, lots of being shouted at.
I like ironing and cleaning, the rest sounds like my current job position....
Besides, (i know you are joking as usal, but will give you an honest answer) being way over 30 and lurking here for a new chance - how good do you think I have it here? (rhetorical).
New chance, for a new begining, and a new life.

Oleg, this may be a stupid question - is there a boat line to France from Rijeka (via Italy?) ? How did you travel?

OP
Oleg84

Oleg84

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Croatia
Hvala, Perun. :)
I was there on Monday morning and got out on Tuesday evening. I'm 30 and no one gave a f*** about it. If you are fit and healthy no one cares. Ive seen people older than me who passed to the next level of selection so no problems there. And no, I was the only one from these parts of the world.
And no, there aren't much fun things to do for a yob in Croatia at my age. If you want to see what is low pay for a shitty job come to Croatia and get one. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

jonny

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Norway
Don't know, Perun, do you really want to join the Legion?

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Croatia
I want a new chance, a new beginning, a new life. Not many places you can search for that, LLE is one of such places. The whole package looks acceptable to me. It is all just an abstract image, that will become real when I go to Aubagne not before. There, then, I may change my mind but yes, I think I'd fit in in that ‘lifestyle’.

OP
Oleg84

Oleg84

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Croatia
Oleg, this may be a stupid question - is there a boat line to France from Rijeka (via Italy?) ? How did you travel?
No boat line that I know of. I traveled by bus from Ljubljana to Marseille.

jonny

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Norway
Well, Perun, things seem to be very different in the Legion now, from what I experienced. I could say, for better or worse, but my impression is that it's worse. However, if Croatia is no good, then yes, it might be worth a try.

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Croatia
Well, Perun, things seem to be very different in the Legion now, from what I experienced. I could say, for better or worse, but my impression is that it's worse. However, if Croatia is no good, then yes, it might be worth a try.
I was talking about my life/situation, nobody said that the prettiest and the best country in the universe is no good. :mad: :cool:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXwyVcLq4Ec

jonny

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Norway
Yeah, Full Metal Jacket is a gentrified version of Legion's boot camp. It's a bit like the Boy Scouts vs the Roman gladiators.

CVW1968

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Germany
Why people do try join the Legion, to start a new and better life ? Like Jonny mentioned, low pay, kick in the ass, cleaning till you drop down, room full of idiots, etc.

If you're over 30, I think you have some life experience. So if your life sucks, don’t expect you will find some better life over there. You also don’t have many chances left, to do it over and over again. Life is short, and if your life sucks also, it’s short and shit.
Don’t go to the Legion to break out of your sorry ass life, and see it as a brand new one. Just do it, because you really f**ed up back home, and you don’t have any place to hide anymore, and half of the police force from your home country is hunting you down. Then it’s easy to pick up a weapon, and promise them and yourself, I will lay low here for 5 years. Even if they kick the shit out of you, you’re better off, then a couple of years in a jail, back home. You will see jail, in your regiment, I’m sure, but I did never more than 10 days at the time.

I don’t know, how things running now in the Legion, but like Jonny said, be glad you don’t have to be there for 5 years. I had good times, but also very bad times, in the best years of my life. I can tell you, back then, it wasn’t a place to “hey, let’s do something completely different with my life.â€￾

Do I regret? No, not for a minute, it made me what I am now. If my son would be now hunt down by the local police force he asked me, “do I take my 5 in a local jail over here or sign up in France?â€￾, I would strongly advise him, to take the 5 back home. But you know, he’s like his father, and if he need a lift, I will drive him over there… (lucky he is not a unguided missile like me in that days. He studied and has a good job, without any trouble).

But again, if you think, that’s a life for you, I will salute you, smile and wave.

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Croatia
Thank you for your sound advices, I take them with respect! It seems to me you drew a lot of conclusions from my three sentences. Why somebody joins/joined LLE is a question which is usually (on this forum) answered with: none of your f...g business! Once again, thank you for the opinion, it made perfect sense anyway. ...Don't take your life lightly, but don't take it too seriously as well.

OP
Oleg84

Oleg84

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Croatia
Everything comes with a reason. If you don't see it yet, wait till you cool down :). Same thing with FFL. So, when I cool down a bit, I'll see my choices and then I'll decide. However it goes, there will be a reason for that and reasons for different people are (I imagine) different.
A very good friend of mine has been in 1. REG for the last 3 ½ years and I haven't heard a bad word from him about the Legion. For everyone it is different. But, if you want something, you'll never let others turn tou down from it. If you want it, then go and get it. Even if it is a mistake, at least, it will be your mistake.

Last edited:

Don Pedro

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Sweden
Everything comes with a reason. If you don't see it yet, wait till you cool down :). Same thing with FFL. So, when I cool down a bit, I'll see my choices and then I'll decide. However it goes, there will be a reason for that and reasons for different people are (I imagine) different.
A very good friend of mine has been in 1. REG for the last 3 ½ years and I haven't heard a bad word from him about the Legion. For everyone it is different. But, if you want something, tou'll never let others turn tou down from it. If you want it, then go and get it. Even if it is a mistake, at least, it will be your mistake.
Very sound thinking, I like that mentality. Better luck next time, if there will be a next.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Oleg84

Good luck in all your endeavours, whatever you do.
It is a fact that sometimes an adverse occurrence in life often works out to your advantage,

Ex-Pongo

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Scotland
Come on, Perun, don't encourage the lad. There must be heaps more fun to do in Croatia than going to France and being a soldier on low pay, lots of hard work, lots of ironing and cleaning, lots of being shouted at.
There is more, but deep down (I'm not looking for an answer here, your thoughts are your own) isn't civilian life after kicking in doors and hunting scum, a bit boring?

A very good friend of mine has been in 1. REG for the last 3 ½ years and I haven't heard a bad word from him about the Legion. For everyone it is different. But, if you want something, tou'll never let others turn tou down from it. If you want it, then go and get it. Even if it is a mistake, at least, it will be your mistake.
The majority of life is down to you, so like the attitude mate. You are going to make it, no matter where you go.

Tormenta

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Bulgaria
I wonder what was the true reason for your being declared inapte? Was it really your weight or more likely your average perfomance on the sport test?

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
I wonder what was the true reason for your being declared inapte? Was it really your weight or more likely your average perfomance on the sport test?
Not for you to ask. The man went, which is a lot more than some armchair warriors.