a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

True or even possible?

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
With a 50cal? That is damn impressive, I read online he was using Hornady A-Max bullets. @Surfguy will be of more knowledge here I'm sure. Modern ammunition and bullet design is drastically improving the older calibers. Previously a 1 Mile shot was the gold standard of long range shooting, now chaps can reach out over 2km with ease.

1583483221090.png

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Valt, I like name of thread you used. I hope you wouldn't get this personally (because it's your countrymen we talking about), but I would call BS here or maybe lucky shut. (not only here other long kills also)
also term "confirmed kill" it's not that reliable. I mean confirmed by who? By team making a shot so we have to rely on their honesty. When came to shots over 2000 m. I don't think that is even possible with regular snipers. Of course is possible far as range of the gun, but how many bullets would hit target on that distance?
I mean i'm not a sniper, but I fired hunting rifles and I know how difficult is to hit target even 200m away. And the
someone have confirmed kill on 3.5 Km! C'mon guys I can't believe this. Just look at someone 3.5km far from you. It's not like sniper rifles are some magical devices you still need to make that hit.
I would believe in all those record "confirmed kills" when those teams repeat that shoot under controlled conditions. Give them 20 bullets.

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Dusa these guys are training constantly and put thousands of thousands of rounds down range every year. With the new optics and bullets available 2km shots are very possible. I definitely agree that at those types of ranges exceeding 2km, everything needs to be perfect and there is definitely a degree of luck, the slightest breeze will effect the bullet at those ranges. I am not a very common shooter these days but with a scoped 308 hunting rifle I can confidently hit a target at 600m.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
The person that the news presenter, who previously held the record, a Brit (Royal Marine if I'm not mistaken) Confirmed the kill by taking out a second person, while they bad guys were stood around trying to see where the shot had come.

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
The news grab is with Rob Furlong, he and Aaron Perry broke Carlos Hathcock's record during Operation Anaconda in 2002, they were Canadians. The chap you thinking of Joe beat their record in 2009, Craig Harrison, he was a Corporal in the Household Cavalry.

Most of the info can be seen there. Note the Saffa at Number 8:)

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Dusa these guys are training constantly and put thousands of thousands of rounds down range every year. With the new optics and bullets available 2km shots are very possible. I definitely agree that at those types of ranges exceeding 2km, everything needs to be perfect and there is definitely a degree of luck, the slightest breeze will effect the bullet at those ranges. I am not a very common shooter these days but with a scoped 308 hunting rifle I can confidently hit a target at 600m.
You said easily on 600 m by you? What you mean by easily. If you fire 10 bullets how many would hit man sized target?
Is there and any videos of professional snappers doing long shuts over 1000 m?
From what I can see on comparisons they going for much closer targets . If I see videos I would be convinced.

Wait I found some videos, But i'm not sure if this is real or commercials for rifles. Russian guy shooting that accurate that far... it's BS for sure. First video maybe more closely represents how trying to hit something far away would look like still I think they also lying about the distance. I mean it's 4.5 km. Scoop can't do miracles. Pretty sure that one would have trouble even seeing something that far. Let alone hitting it.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
No doubt the excellent Canadian sniper holds the record for a kill at distance. Their snipers are superb.

A RM Cpl sniper held the record for recorded and confirmed kills in Iraq and Afghanistan with 173. He is still serving and has been promoted.

At the end of WW2 only the RM retained a sniper school. Other Army units attended and then set up their own. The USMC also sent students. and did the same

SAS snipers and other NATO SF are trained by the RM at CTCRM. In many ways the course which I believe is 16 weeks equates to an SF qualification. It is extremely demanding and the pass rate quite low.

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
You said easily on 600 m by you? What you mean by easily. If you fire 10 bullets how many would hit man sized target?
Is there and any videos of professional snappers doing long shuts over 1000 m?
From what I can see on comparisons they going for much closer targets . If I see videos I would be convinced.

Wait I found some videos, But i'm not sure if this is real or commercials for rifles. Russian guy shooting that accurate that far... it's BS for sure. First video maybe more closely represents how trying to hit something far away would look like still I think they also lying about the distance. I mean it's 4.5 km. Scoop can't do miracles. Pretty sure that one would have trouble even seeing something that far. Let alone hitting it.

If I knew the exact distance to the target as well as the zero'd distance of the rifle, I could easily get it in 2 shots maximum followed by a 3-4 inch group with 5 rounds.

I grew up shooting rifles, and around firearms. It all depends on your proficiency, if I shot with my Stepfathers 303 I would be very comfortable and accurate because i Have had years learning on it and shooting it, however if I grabbed someone else's it might be a different story. 1000m Shot is really nothing extraordinary these days.

Last edited:

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
If I knew the exact distance to the target as well as the zero'd distance of the rifle, I could easily get it in 2 shots maximum followed by a 3-4 inch group with 5 rounds.

I grew up shooting rifles, and around firearms. It all depends on your proficiency, if I shot with my Stepfathers 303 I would be very comfortable and accurate because i Have had years learning on it and shooting it, however if I grabbed someone else's it might be a different story. 1000m Shot is really nothing extraordinary these days.

I guess you are good shutter Snafu. Guys I know hunters, can't make that shut .

So you saw this video? How many bullets he needed to adjust? And he went first for 1 mile and than for 2 km. You don't have that when you making "confirmed kill". Also your target won't wear bright red . And this is 2000m they calming kill on 3500! I just can't buy that story. I mean just listen what they say at end of video you posted.

Second thing, in real war situation if you are sniper team, under what condition you would be allowed to attack target that war away? You know that only thing you would do is to give away your position and presence with almost 0% chance to hit target from first shut. What would you say to your superior? "Sir, am asking for permission to beat world record on confirmed kill." Just doesn't make any sense other than this guys are lying.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
No doubt the excellent Canadian sniper holds the record for a kill at distance. Their snipers are superb.

A RM Cpl sniper held the record for recorded and confirmed kills in Iraq and Afghanistan with 173. He is still serving and has been promoted.
Chas I knew you are proud about your unit and I'm sure they are great soldiers but I again, I have problem with this numbers.
How can you make 173 confirmed kills? Under what condition that can be possible. Only situation I see this numbers is true is if sniper is in urban area and he is shot civilians. (which sadly was case in Sarajevo (Bosnian war)).

In normal conditions you simply don't get chance for that many kills. I mean I know that radical Islamic terrorists aren't that smart, but they are not brainless to jump and under fire line one by one.

I would say that those snipers like to lie bit more than other soldiers.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia

For some reason looks like people just like to exaggerate a lot about numbers with enemy killed.
And they do that so bluntly that you just can't believe them if you have some brains.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Chas I knew you are proud about your unit and I'm sure they are great soldiers but I again, I have problem with this numbers.
How can you make 173 confirmed kills? Under what condition that can be possible. Only situation I see this numbers is true is if sniper is in urban area and he is shot civilians. (which sadly was case in Sarajevo (Bosnian war)).

In normal conditions you simply don't get chance for that many kills. I mean I know that radical Islamic terrorists aren't that smart, but they are not brainless to jump and under fire line one by one.

I would say that those snipers like to lie bit more than other soldiers.

As with the Canadian Marksman simply search the internet for RM sniper kills. It will be associated with the US Navy Seal who claimed to have the highest kill rate. ALL Sniper's kills have to be witnessed. It has nothing to do with me being a former RM.

When I was with the Queen's they had the best free fall team. But who heard of that ? They amalgamated with the Royal Hampshires and became the PWRR. They in turn has a superb sniping team both in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
British Royal Marine world's deadliest sniper- Telegraph. On internet Dusa.

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
It is not that I want to brag, but my best grouping was five shots in one hole with a 6 MM Mauser at about hundred yards.
Lucky for me the outline of the rounds were clearly visible.
It was not in the bull's eye due to an extremely strong side dessert wind. {this was during the last testing of basic training}
The examining lieutenant remembered me 2 years later.
Then in the regiment when we did our practice on the "çhamp the tir" , I managed 99 out of hundred at 200 meters
[Could have been further, I don't know the exact distance] with my trusty MAS 36. The overall target was about 4 feet high.
We had no designated snipers in the 1er REC, I guess that is what the canons on the EBR's were for.;)

leg161.jpg

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
The news grab is with Rob Furlong, he and Aaron Perry broke Carlos Hathcock's record during Operation Anaconda in 2002, they were Canadians. The chap you thinking of Joe beat their record in 2009, Craig Harrison, he was a Corporal in the Household Cavalry.

Most of the info can be seen there. Note the Saffa at Number 8:)
In November 2009, Harrison consecutively struck two Taliban machine gunners south of Musa Qala in Helmand Province in Afghanistan at a range of 2,475 m (2,707 yd) using a L115A3 Long Range Rifle.[5][6][7][8][9] In a BBC interview, Harrison reported it took about nine shots for him and his spotter to range the target. Then, he reported, his first shot "on target" was a killing shot followed consecutively by a kill shot on a second machine gunner. The bodies were later found by Afghan National Police looking to retrieve the weapon (which had already been removed). The first Taliban was shot in the gut and the other through the side. Later in the day an Apache helicopter hovered over the firing position, using its laser range finder to measure the distance to the machine-gun position, confirming it was the longest kill in history at the time. [1][10]

In the reports, Harrison mentions the environmental conditions were perfect for long range shooting: no wind, mild weather and clear visibility.[

Sorry Craig Harrison for getting you regiment mixed up.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Harrison reported it took about nine shots for him and his spotter to range the target. Then, he reported, his first shot "on target" was a killing shot followed consecutively by a kill shot on a second machine gunner.
And Afghans stood and wait to be killed?
As with the Canadian Marksman simply search the internet for RM sniper kills. It will be associated with the US Navy Seal who claimed to have the highest kill rate. ALL Sniper's kills have to be witnessed. It has nothing to do with me being a former RM.
I know Chas I already read that. Just my intelligence (whatever it is) won't allow me to believe in that. Unless someone explain to me how is possible for someone to have that many kills. All honest snipers have couple kills at most for all career and then you have those superhumans who somehow doing that in incomparably greater scale. I think those are just myths made to bust army moral. Always been always would be.

Do you know about Red Baron. Many historians agree that it was German propaganda. I mean guy existed and was good plot, no doubt about it. But many agree that real number of planes he downed is far less than German "official".

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Theres a lot of mythology with long range shooting , an AI rifle in 338 Lap with issue ammunition may be able to shoot .75MOA at 100Yards so in theory approx 7.5" group at 1000 yards and 15" at 2000 yards and 22.5" at 3000 , in reality its not that easy as 338 bullets go transonic at around 1500 yards and the accuracy deteriorates further , its all about probability of hitting a target and its not just the skill of the shooter , he can only shoot as well as the rifle / ammo allows , no better , so a kill at 3500 yards is either a lucky shot or it was walked in with a good spotter and some luck .

I picked 338Lap as an example because it is possibly still the best sniper calibre currently in service although it has some close contenders . .50 BMG is more a anti material calibre than an anti personnel calibre .

".338 Lap Performance with C.I.P. conforming cartridges
For a typical .338 Lapua Magnum high end factory military sniper rifle like the Sako TRG-42 with a 690 mm (27.2 in) long 305 mm (1 in 12 inch) rifling twist rate barrel at sea level, 1,500 m (1,640 yd) is considered to be the maximum shooting distance for man sized targets. When using standard Lapua military 16.2 g (250 gr) loads it has a supersonic range of 1,500 m (1,640 yd) under warm summer conditions at a muzzle velocity of 915 m/s (3,000 ft/s). However, to be able to maintain 80 to 90% hit probability on non-moving 45 cm × 90 cm (17.7 in × 35.4 in) reactive army targets, this maximum shooting distance has to be reduced to 1,300 metres (1,422 yd) at freezing point conditions or 1,100 m (1,203 yd) in Arctic winter conditions, when the muzzle velocity may drop to 880 m/s (2,887 ft/s)—i.e. only during optimal warm summer conditions the 1,500 m (1,640 yd) maximum shooting distance is realistically achievable"

Last edited:

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Not a great shooter Dusa, just was taught properly and always use the 4 basics of shooting/marksman. 90% of the time poor shooting is bad habits that a) you haven't noticed, b) don't want to listen because you "know everything."
The minute you think you know every is the moment you need to reevaluate your outlook on things.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
It is not that I want to brag, but my best grouping was five shots in one hole with a 6 MM Mauser at about hundred yards.
Lucky for me the outline of the rounds were clearly visible.
It was not in the bull's eye due to an extremely strong side dessert wind. {this was during the last testing of basic training}
The examining lieutenant remembered me 2 years later.
Then in the regiment when we did our practice on the "çhamp the tir" , I managed 99 out of hundred at 200 meters with my trusty MAS 36. The overall target was about 4 feet high.
We had no designated snipers in the 1er REC, I guess that is what the canons on the EBR's were for.;)

View attachment 5936
You old dog!😊 always wondered if you lot could shoot! think I was just jealous though. those armored véhicules spiffy moustaches were another world to us! Had the pleasure of having some beers with them couple of times though. Respects ancien.