a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UK Student

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Now then..if i was Brigadier-chef..i would run a tight ship i can tell you :D

GuidoLovarini

Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
the guys now are living off the Reputation of guys from the older days . that's how it comes over.

Aye but in the same breath times have changed the world is different bla bla bla lol. You cant not have some sort of smart device now it is unpractical.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Aye but in the same breath times have changed the world is different bla bla bla lol. You cant not have some sort of smart device now it is unpractical.
Yes I know Buddy.. Even a Reptile like me has some Gadgets at home.

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Once finished instruction, the Legionnaires buy them selves smart phones and lap tops
Bet they sell them in the foyer too (camp shop)
Yep you can buy a cellphone in the foyer, I think you need permission from your Chef de Chambre to have a laptop.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
And why not? I remember having a small short wave radio for the terrain in Africa to follow the BBC and novels. Today is more or less the same but more modern.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
:D
And why not? I remember having a small short wave radio for the terrain in Africa to follow the BBC and novels. Today is more or less the same but more modern.
Haha...stone Age Joseph... Along with your Sven Hassel books:D

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
We used to pick all sorts up with HF. We would use a sloping wire. I payed attention when we learned antennas & propagation. Good old HF 321.

mammikoura

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Finland
I would recommend being honest. I don't see why some debt would be a big issue, especially since you plan on paying it back. (and that I would definitely do)

In the other case, if you say that you don't have any debts, you'll have to explain how you financed your studies. And if they decide to do a credit check... well we all know what happens then.

GuidoLovarini

Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
I would recommend being honest. I don't see why some debt would be a big issue, especially since you plan on paying it back. (and that I would definitely do)

In the other case, if you say that you don't have any debts, you'll have to explain how you financed your studies. And if they decide to do a credit check... well we all know what happens then.

Can they do a credit check for people from the uk mate aye ?

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
So im kinda confused :/ Should I be honest about my situation, or not mention I studied or have debts in the first place?
I dont know how the legion will react to my student debt, but maybe some legionnaires here can give me any solid advice?

GuidoLovarini

Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
You could be damned if you do and damned if you dont i think😂dont know if your going to get a solid answer on this one mate. Just go with your gut.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
You could be damned if you do and damned if you dont i think😂dont know if your going to get a solid answer on this one mate. Just go with your gut.
Bursantos, if we knew what the interviewers were going to ask and what answers they wanted we would be selling the answers and maybe even put the amazing Ryan out of business with his PDFs.
As Guido says go with your gut. However, do not change your story half way through. If you tell one person something, you must tell them all the same thing.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
So im kinda confused :/ Should I be honest about my situation, or not mention I studied or have debts in the first place?
I dont know how the legion will react to my student debt, but maybe some legionnaires here can give me any solid advice?
Don't think that they will care much about your debts. Whether or not you will be able to avoid paying it by joining legion and changing your name... that's another question.

There is many guys here coming here with wish to join FFL because of debts You're not first and won't be last for sure. More and more guys with debts (especially scholarship related) will come here and into legion.

I tried to find answer whether or not is legion able to protect you from greedy banks and debt collectors. Didn't find definitive answer. In one hand, if that is you wish once you are in you should be legally missing from face of the earth.
In another if they looking for you for murder or some other big time crime FFL probably isn't good hideout.

As for debts ... don't know. That isn't big crime, but banksters are serious players with powerful connection often hiring ex or even active intelligence agents. So... really don't know. Go, try and tell us how did worked for you. ;)

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
just go & do it Bro.. Let US know if the Cpl Chef was nice to you. :LOL: they will no doubt just think it's as good a reason as any to join.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Don't think that they will care much about your debts. Whether or not you will be able to avoid paying it by joining legion and changing your name... that's another question.

There is many guys here coming here with wish to join FFL because of debts You're not first and won't be last for sure. More and more guys with debts (especially scholarship related) will come here and into legion.

I tried to find answer whether or not is legion able to protect you from greedy banks and debt collectors. Didn't find definitive answer. In one hand, if that is you wish once you are in you should be legally missing from face of the earth.
In another if they looking for you for murder or some other big time crime FFL probably isn't good hideout.

As for debts ... don't know. That isn't big crime, but banksters are serious players with powerful connection often hiring ex or even active intelligence agents. So... really don't know. Go, try and tell us how did worked for you. ;)
i am sure they will change his name. He soldiers...they help him. New name, new guy.

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Student finance England will not persue you in the Legion, the Legion cant find out about the debt unless you tell them , student loans do not show on your credit ratings.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Dusa and Surfguy are both right. The legion will change your name for you and there is no way the legion will find out unless you tell them BUT and there is always a but. If you tell anyone, friends.face book, family then chances are someone will find out. If it is a large amount of money the banks have their own collectors for that. They start by sending polite letters etc. Someone from the branch will pop up at you lodgingsand university ask questions. If that doesn't
shed any light then they hire out private debt collectors. All that you have to do is NOT tell anyone that you are in the legion. Because let's face it. someone will confide in a friend and then soon the whole of your class know about it.

These debt collectors are professionals they don't go around breaking peoples arms for info. They have more subtle ways of doing things. Then the question will be the legion's reaction. You told them, OK that's not their problem. You didn't tell them - why not?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
F*ck! So one with debt is f*cked anyway? Luckily I don't have any. Just 15 € in local bar. :)
Dusa, I've no idea how the recruiters will react. I wish I did, but it all depends on them and what their criteria is at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.