a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UK Student

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone!

I've just finished university in the UK and preparing to go Aubagne. The only thing i fear that could hinder my chances of joining are my student debts. The UK is very leniant, and in theory I can pay them when i start serving or after.
I wanted to know if anyone has any helpful advice, regarding how one should go about this during the interview at preselection?
Think I said in a post a bit back that I went to university as a mature student in my late 40s early 50s you are making a mountain out of a mole hill my friend!

Thank you for you time lads

Not read all the replies you don’t start paying back a student loan for fees or maintenance grant/loan till you earn over 21k per year and then it is a very small percentage of what you earn, all this information is available to any student most students don’t pay back the loan it is common knowledge as they don’t manage to secure high end jobs that pay really well.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Personally
Debt for me is like a wager, a bet if you prefer
Either they get paid back or they dont
Their gamble
I shaft big time anything govermental, if i can get away with it. ...even then (once they eventually catch up with me, i plead povrety ! Easy pay back solutions and if lucky, part of deducted )
Why worry, U.K. is super rich and they can support foriegners éducation fées
Grab the oppertunities life offers and stick the debt reclaims up the fairy god mothers arse !

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Personally
Their gamble
I shaft big time anything govermental, if i can get away with it. ...even then (once they eventually catch up with me, i plead povrety ! Easy pay back solutions and if lucky, part of deducted )
Grab the oppertunities life offers and stick the debt reclaims up the fairy god mothers arse !
Right on Bro...look at the so called "Elite".. do you think they are honest?...screw them. get your slice of the pie :LOL:

GuidoLovarini

Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
Personally
Their gamble

True man. And its even better in scotland as you cant get bailiffs knocking at your door threatening to repo your couch😂😂😂😂

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
In Scotland, a spoken debt is a paid debt, btw!
remember years back when the poll tax started, a guy from the court came round to my old mans house looking for my wee bro...he thought i was him(was on leave). was a real knob. slammed the door in his face. little rat.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
when i think about it now the Legion would have been perfect for my younger brother as he got into too much shit. I payed a few fines for him. However from the young offenders institution he ended up in Barlinnie. After that he straightened out..LOL. might have done him good if he went to the Legion.

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Student finance is different than say a bank loan , you will never be pursued by debt collectors for unpaid student finance , if SFE does catch up with you in the UK they will get their money back via your HMRC income tax payment but only if you earn over £25k , outside the UK they are pretty powerless if you refuse to cooperate.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Student finance is different than say a bank loan , you will never be pursued by debt collectors for unpaid student finance , if SFE does catch up with you in the UK they will get their money back via your HMRC income tax payment but only if you earn over £25k , outside the UK they are pretty powerless if you refuse to cooperate.
Don't know about that. So banksters get their share one way or another. Maybe there is little tiny minority of students who will actually benefit from that loan, but mainly that is just legalized robbery of citizens.

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Don't know about that. So banksters get their share one way or another. Maybe there is little tiny minority of students who will actually benefit from that loan, but mainly that is just legalized robbery of citizens.
You need to look at the facts , its not banks financing the students.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
You need to look at the facts , its not banks financing the students.

So who does pay? Do you get funding directly from government or you have same bank as mediator?

I know that banks don't pay anything, they just making money out of thin air. That's their job.
Who pays - government. In translation working people of UK.

I watched few videos on this subject and if I understood well you will not pay anything if you earning below 21k (or 25?) £ a year. Ok you still pay inflation rate, but if there is no any catch (I really think there is) that's not so bad.

One way or another this method encouraging people to earn minimum wage or to be on welfare. These days that is common case in Europe. I know many Gypsies from my town leaving on welfare in Germany much better than low income Germans.
And why would they work? Government pay them for food, apartment based on size of their family. Also give them money according to number of children. and they can make about 1000€ a month working some non-registered job just few days a mount.

If I am average German, working everyday best I can (and they do work, is not in their mentality to live on welfare ) I would be pretty pissed everyday looking some Gypsies from Serbia doing nothing and having significantly more money from me and in addition they boast and brag about it (and they do that, it is in their mentality ) ... Man!

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Too many students and not enougth Gulags
Too many unemployed and not enougth jobs
Gulags is what we need and make the bastards pay for their stay
France (prisonniers might soon pay 20 e per day while in jail. .
Just a law propisition for the moment )

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Too many students and not enougth Gulags
Too many unemployed and not enougth jobs
Gulags is what we need and make the bastards pay for their stay
France (prisonniers might soon pay 20 e per day while in jail. .
Just a law propisition for the moment )
In South Africa theres plans to give prisoners a social grant when they leave prison to "help" them get back on their feet. Prison here is probably more comfortable than being a civilian. 3 hot meals a day, satellite tv, internet, free schooling and now getting paid to leave. Sounds like a good deal to me. Meanwhile most of the honest working population is struggling to make ends meet.....

Status
Not open for further replies.