a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Update and question

sombrerox

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
OK gentlemen,

It's been 2 months since I started preparing for the FFL, I was training regularly and this is where I am, please read and tell me what to improve:

H: 1,90m W: 93kg

- I can run 10K in less than 45min
- I can do 60 consecutive push ups
- I can do 92 sit ups in 2 minutes
- I checked my pull ups 2 days ago and I can do 6 with my arms completely hanging but I've never actually practiced these as I have no pull up bar nearby, I will make sure to install one very soon (I'm pretty sure I can hit 10+ by the time I leave for Marseille in ~6 months)

Additional exercises I do:

I stretch my legs after every run, before I go to run I spend 30 minutes on a heavy bag (7x 3min rounds with 1 min rest in between, heavy bag gets me warmed up and sweaty as ****, so when I go running it's very easy), I do plank 3 times a day for 3 minutes each and I do sit ups 3 times a day as well 100+ reps every time (no time limit and no resting), 1 day a week I go out and instead of doing long runs I do 10x 100 meter sprints with 1 min resting in between (my time is ranging from 13-14 seconds) how are my chances right now and how much can I improve and what should I improve in the next 6 months ? As winter is coming I guess everything will become a bit harder, but I suppose it's good as it will all be much easier to do when spring comes. I was also considering to install Rosetta Stone on my PC and start learning some French.

4 days a week I do 10K endurance runs
1 day a week I do 10x 100m sprints
6-7 days a week I do push ups and sit ups
5 days a week I practice on heavy bag (before every run)
5 days a week I stretch legs (after run)
7 days a week I do 3x 3min plank during the day

Obviously I will have to integrate pull ups and marches very soon into this routine.

korisnik

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Serbia
duno i runed 1day 10+km 1 day cuper, sprints 1 day no running. And last 4 days i dident run at all and i runed 10km so eazy like i waz flying. So i think you shoudent run evry day make some pauses so your legs can muscle up. And suggestion if you have problems with hills do sit ups with weights at least it helped me.
in 6 months you could probbaly do 25+pullups
if i were you i would do 1 more month of pullups to reach at least 10pullups and go Aubagne

sombrerox

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Well the road I'm running on is around 15% flat, 60% uphill and 25% downhill, uphills are not too much of a hassle, if I feel I'm getting too tired or something I just do zig zags, I will run more but won't tire myself too much, I'm fine with 5 days of running a week, I do it with no resting between the run days so when I finish with sprinting day I will have almost 3 days of rest (Friday 6PM sprinting, Saturaday 6PM rested for a day, Sunday 6PM rested for 2 days and Monday ~6PM endurance run) I'm not that confident in myself yet, I don't want to leave before I get to 100 push ups and min. 10 pull ups, I should also test myself for Luc Luger test sometime soon, anyway I will be 22 in October so I'm in no hurry to leave before spring, I chose spring as I hope weather conditions will be optimal. I also noticed that taking few days off from any exercise will ******* me and re-energize me, I will probably take my last 2 days at home off, I would take 4-5 actually but when I arrive at selection center they may not have enough candidates right away so I may spend 2-3 days more in there and I don't want to take too much time off from running.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
sombrerox, it looks as though you have it all planned out, good. You certainly are taking the training seriously. I think that learning French would be an excellent idea, after all that is the language that you will be given orders in. Don't go overboard with the various verb tenses, this can be frutstrating and to be quite honest most of the non native French speaking corporals will be using basic French. Do learn the names of the various items for cleaning, bucket, broom, and so forth. It may sound silly but a lot of the time will be spent on chores and when the Cpl tells you to get a broom and shovel, at least you know what he is talking about.

sombrerox

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
sombrerox, it looks as though you have it all planned out, good. You certainly are taking the training seriously. I think that learning French would be an excellent idea, after all that is the language that you will be given orders in. Don't go overboard with the various verb tenses, this can be frutstrating and to be quite honest most of the non native French speaking corporals will be using basic French. Do learn the names of the various items for cleaning, bucket, broom, and so forth. It may sound silly but a lot of the time will be spent on chores and when the Cpl tells you to get a broom and shovel, at least you know what he is talking about.

Certainly, I will have plenty of time in 5 years to learn tenses and grammar rules, I will try to learn enough to be able to do all the tasks that are given to me.

Most viewed threads of the week