a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• WARNING

We have been alerted of inappropriate behaviours on the forum. We firmly condamn any form of agressivity, harassment, threats etc...
    Members will be banned if they don't follow the rules (see rules agreement during registration setup)

Updates from August 2021

Reaction score
Home Country
Brazil
Hello forum,
Last time I went in here I was between planning and/or giving up, in trying to enlist in FFL. So came everything we already know, and a lot of what is happening around the world can really change to better. Back in 2019 I was still fixing teeths (braces), and was almost reaching an appropriated physical condition, but I had to work in home, gained weight, passport expired, and so on.
Trying to get things done now, another reason I dont like to comment or post much (old habit of speak less and do more, or at least try).

Going direct to the point now, I will probably be able to travel in my vacation, which will be around January/2022, so basically going back to study French, started and stopped many times,
because the probability to fail some years back would be really higher than now, also 5 months to get good shape, proper physical conditioning,
and enough money to waste considering everything fails.

There is a good reason for this thread, which is related to vaccines, I am about to take my second shot, but, heard rumours that France is not accepting all vacinnes
to allow foreigners to enter. Don't know really the fact of this by trusted sources in France or FFL about vaccines.
Also, there is other forums which some people are really saying FFL is not the same as 5 years ago, such as, reducing the ammount of ppl, or at least much less EVs entering,
less operations/wars, which means, there would be no need for more people enlisting. I see at least their Youtub* channel has new and good videos
about them and exericises.

So, how bad things really are for those trying to enter, trying to dodge this pandemic, etc? Have a great week you all!

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi opcomrade,

It is good to hear from you again. What is the vaccination that you are getting? The easiest way to check is on the WHO (or OMS in French ) to see whether you vaccine is valide in France or not.
The legion is NOT the same as it was 5 years ago, as it is not the same as it was in my day and in my day was not the same as in Voltigeur's day.
And thank f@ck for that.
5 years ago they were using the FAMAS, in Joe Votigeur's day it wasn't quite the Charleville musket ;) but rather the MAS 49. The legion is moving with the times.
There hasn't been any reduction in recruiting from what I have heard of.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
if your not considering till next year vaccines will have been sorted and the rich countries will be doing booster jabs to be honest I don’t think that should be your main concern, just a little dig my freind in my experience guys that want to do something have self discipline and remain in a sort of ready state! Even in jail prior to the legion I could do a work out in my cell I struggle with any person that comes on this form that does not have the base standard to do the basic stuff to get passed the fitness side of the Selection process! Others might have different views but for some reason I struggle with guys wanting to join the legion but aren’t at a basic level of fitness ( Marche ou Creve) I new nothing about the legion prior to joining ( or very little) but one of the things I did think with the above quote is that I needed to be fit! In my view the basic physical side should be their, wish I could personally say I did not struggle with the French Language but that was always going to be my Achilles Heal ! Well as humans we are all different but Legion/Fitness to me thats what the 2REP was all about as very seldom a day passed when we’re not standing on parade in sports kit/ full kit and occasionally with a sack for sport😀
Well best of luck regardless.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I concur with Papillon.

Simply if you want to join the military in any capacity you should ensure that you are physically fit to meet the basic requirements of entry.

It is also a question of determination and personal mindset.

I was a wiry little squirt and set my mind on earning the 'Coveted Green Beret'. Somehow I succeeded and was even trained by former WW2 Commandos.

As Papillon says "Good luck."

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Hi opcomrade,

It is good to hear from you again. What is the vaccination that you are getting? The easiest way to check is on the WHO (or OMS in French ) to see whether you vaccine is valide in France or not.
The legion is NOT the same as it was 5 years ago, as it is not the same as it was in my day and in my day was not the same as in Voltigeur's day.
And thank f@ck for that.
5 years ago they were using the FAMAS, in Joe Votigeur's day it wasn't quite the Charleville musket ;) but rather the MAS 49. The legion is moving with the times.
There hasn't been any reduction in recruiting from what I have heard of.
I started out with the MAS 36.😉

Reaction score
Home Country
Brazil
I concur with Papillon.

Simply if you want to join the military in any capacity you should ensure that you are physically fit to meet the basic requirements of entry.

It is also a question of determination and personal mindset.
Yeah, starting 2019 I was very motivated and determined, doing good progress, and then everything went bad as hell.
But I am kind that guy who will never sleep well, knowing that I didnt try something, so even if it turns rejected,
I will give a try. I was also worried about my age (31), but a lot of opportunity is showing up, and still have a good time
to get prepared.