a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Venezuela and Blackwater,

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
It is alleged that the controversial private security company run by Erik Prince, plans to fund a private army to topple Maduro. A great fan of Trump, it is reported that he is getting funds and plans to raise an army of 4000/5000 mercenaries.

As former CEO of Basra Intl' Logistics Limited, I consider this to be ill conceived, far fetched and politically dangerous. It could also set off a civil war.

In my opinion Blackwater's past performance and history is on record and is somewhat tarnished.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
More chance of a Brazilian, Colombian and any other south américain coalition stepping in as a multi national peace keeping force, happening imo

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
It is alleged that the controversial private security company run by Erik Prince, plans to fund a private army to topple Maduro. A great fan of Trump, it is reported that he is getting funds and plans to raise an army of 4000/5000 mercenaries.

As former CEO of Basra Intl' Logistics Limited, I consider this to be ill conceived, far fetched and politically dangerous. It could also set off a civil war.

In my opinion Blackwater's past performance and history is on record and is somewhat tarnished.

Hi Chas don’t think you would be far of the mark personally not got a problem with Blackwater but it would allow America to be involved but this time not directly linked to the CIA just my thoughts buddy!

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Ah now this is interesting. And here I thought the world was boring in these times. I'm sure Blackwater can find 4-5k bloodthirsty troops, who wouldn't take that contract?

rashisan

Reaction score
Home Country
Bulgaria
Guys guys please...the Russians are coming don't worry comrades! :D We saw them in Syria. I will suggest everyone to learn russian along with the french language :D

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Guys guys please...the Russians are coming don't worry comrades! :D We saw them in Syria. I will suggest everyone to learn russian along with the french language :D
I'm not sure that Russians will directly involve them self here as they did in Syria. In Syria there was much more in stake for them then in Venezuela

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway

Oh well, from my lifetime wartime history it seems to me that nothing can turn out to be such a bad situation that it can’t get worse when the Americans get involved. OK, apart from WWII that is. Just look at conflicts such as Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, Syria, Afghanistan, etc, and I have probably forgotten a number of others that the yanks SNAFUd (sorry Wanderer, nothing personal)

jonny

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Erik’s Blackwaters getting stuffing up things even worse in Venezuela should be fun to watch on evening news. That should move the situation quite smoothly from SNAFU to FUBAR within a month or two (my prediction, nothing scientific except past history)

jonny

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Ps, for those of you on this forum who are not familiar with US military acronyms:

SNAFU translates as Situation Normal all F....d Up
FUBAR translates as F....d Up Beyond All Repair

Hope this clarifies my comments, cheers and a belated Cameron greeting to all the legionnaires on this forum.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Slightly off topic but Re ; The CIA.

Curently there is a case of an EX-CIA mole set to 'plead guilty' , which I am watching with interest.

Jerry Chun Shing Lee, 54 pleaded last year 'not guilty' of conspiring to deliver defence information to a foreign country. He was arrested in January 2018 having travelled to China with top secret information in his luggage, as well as, including the real names of CIA assets in theatre. It appears that 18/20 informants in China were killed or imprisoned.

The worst security breach for decades. His inducement money.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
The opinion of the FBI/CIA, and other sneaky secret squirrels, is quite low in the US.

Now as an American I agree with many of these statements. We have a habit of fighting and not really caring about the consequences. For example, most of Central and South America, Iraq, Syria, and a few other choice gigs.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Erik’s Blackwaters getting stuffing up things even worse in Venezuela should be fun to watch on evening news. That should move the situation quite smoothly from SNAFU to FUBAR within a month or two (my prediction, nothing scientific except past history)
I give it a week.

Crawdad

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Oh well, from my lifetime wartime history it seems to me that nothing can turn out to be such a bad situation that it can’t get worse when the Americans get involved. OK, apart from WWII that is. Just look at conflicts such as Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, Syria, Afghanistan, etc, and I have probably forgotten a number of others that the yanks SNAFUd (sorry Wanderer, nothing personal)

How did American involvement make things worse during the Korean War? I'd really like to have that one explained to me.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Not suprised the démonstration in Venezuela got out of hand...they forgot to declare it to Cristophe Castener,(the french minister de l ' interierur) and the Préfecture de Police de Paris. ..

Crawdad

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Two Koreas.

Ah... but Two Korea's was the status quo ante. The Norks wanted one Korea (under communist rule), and invaded the South
to make that happen-- at which point the US (and our buddies, lest we forget) got involved.

Korea wasn't divided as a result of either the Korean War OR America's involvement therein; it was partitioned as a result of WW2. Moreover, it would not have been partitioned had the Soviets not first: declared war on Japan the very same day that America nuked Hiroshima; and second: gobbled up a lot of territory in east Asia, including present-day North Korea.

I'm not saying that America doesn't screw up; I'm just saying that we don't always screw up.

Also, we weren't alone. Besides the ROK's-- the UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, France, Turkey, The Phillipines, Thailand, Ethiopia, Greece, Colombia, Belgium, the Netherlands, and South Africa were all there in Battalion-strength or greater. This was a UN operation, and a successful one. One ought to share the credit and the blame.

jonny

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Ah... but Two Korea's was the status quo ante. The Norks wanted one Korea (under communist rule), and invaded the South
to make that happen-- at which point the US (and our buddies, lest we forget) got involved.

Korea wasn't divided as a result of either the Korean War OR America's involvement therein; it was partitioned as a result of WW2. Moreover, it would not have been partitioned had the Soviets not first: declared war on Japan the very same day that America nuked Hiroshima; and second: gobbled up a lot of territory in east Asia, including present-day North Korea.

I'm not saying that America doesn't screw up; I'm just saying that we don't always screw up.

Also, we weren't alone. Besides the ROK's-- the UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, France, Turkey, The Phillipines, Thailand, Ethiopia, Greece, Colombia, Belgium, the Netherlands, and South Africa were all there in Battalion-strength or greater. This was a UN operation, and a successful one. One ought to share the credit and the blame.
Thanks for the history lesson, mate. Yes, I accept all your points, and I have actually lived and worked in South Korea, travelling all over the country , eaten great Korean food, gotten ‘friendly’ with some of their gorgeous women.......(sorry, I drifted off there a bit)
And even understanding a bit of the conflict by finding and exploring old fox holes near the DMZ.

But nevertheless, the end game of ridding the Korean peninsula of the Kim dynasty once and for all was halted at the 35th parallell, or thereabouts. With unspeakable horrors befalling the poor unlucky north Koreans, and still going on, with the latest fat boy Kim in charge.

Why didn’t the yanks and their allies just keep pushing the communists north, getting rid of the Kims once and for all? Instead of the current mess with the north armed with nukes and ICMs as well? A bit like the Iraq mess, but potentially worse.

Now, that was my take on history 😂h

Last edited: