a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QUESTION Visa Duration and..hernia

Reaction score
Home Country
Indonesia
So uhh..bonjour a tous

My name is Manuel, i'm currently 17 and thinking about joining the legion. I'm from southeast asia

I have some questions that still haunt me every night before bed

and i know that most of my questions have problably been answered in other threads
so uhh

I'm pretty serious about joining the legion and i don't mind investing most my life savings to be a legionnaire

I'll be taking a french course for about a year so i could learn some basic french at least

anyway, first question

1. if i could somehow obtain a visa to france and make my way there, i believe they'll give you like 90 days permission to stay (tourist visa).
and i know for a fact that basic training will take about 5-6 months (if i got selected)
So does that count as overstaying my visa?
Do i need to report to the embassy after 90 days or what?
I just need to make sure cuz i don't want the french authorities to just show up and send my a$$ back to my country, or i get banned from obtaining a schengen visa.

2. I'll be joining the legion at 20, and currently I have this inguinal hernia problem, it doesn't really bother me tho, but i'm gonna get my hernia taken care of. If there is no occurence after the surgery, i can still get selected right?

and btw i know how to use the search function, i just need to make sure

Last edited by a moderator:

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
So uhh..bonjour a tous

My name is Manuel, i'm currently 17 and thinking about joining the legion. I'm from southeast asia

and i know that most of my questions have problably been answered in other threads
so uhh

I'm pretty serious about joining the legion and i don't mind investing most my life savings to be a legionnaire

I'll be taking a french course for about a year so i could learn some basic french at least

anyway, first question

1. if i could somehow obtain a visa to france and make my way there, i believe they'll give you like 90 days permission to stay (tourist visa).
and i know for a fact that basic training will take about 5-6 months (if i got selected)
I just need to make sure cuz i don't want the french authorities to just show up and send my ass back to my country, or i get banned from obtaining a schengen visa.

2. I'll be joining the legion at 20, and currently I have this inguinal hernia problem, it doesn't really bother me tho, but i'm gonna get my hernia taken care of. If there is no occurence after the surgery, i can still get selected right?

1) If you get accepted, you do not have to worry about a visa.
2) I replied to that already. It is possible, but from what I have read, it is unlikely.
The search area is at the top right hand corner, just type in your question and several post will come up with highlighted areas related to your question.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
So uhh..bonjour a tous

so uhh

anyway, first question

I just need to make sure cuz i don't want the french authorities to just show up and send my a$$ back to my country, or i get banned from obtaining a schengen visa.

Hello Ginger brat and welcome to the forum.
1) If you are in the Legion after the 90 days is up, NO the police will not show up at Castel to send you home.
2) Once your hernia is removed, there should be no problems.

Reaction score
Home Country
Indonesia
1) if you are in the Legion after the 90 days is up, NO the police will not show up at Castel to send you home.
Thank you so much, Mr. Joseph. At least I don't have to worry about my visa now and can focus on taking care of my hernia.

1) If you get accepted, you do not have to worry about a visa.
2) I replied to that already. It is possible, but from what I have read, it is unlikely.
The search area is at the top right hand corner, just type in your question and several post will come up with highlighted areas related to your question.
Thanks, there's still hope at least.

Reaction score
Home Country
England
1) if you are in the legion after the 90 days is up, NO the police will not show up at Castel to send you home.

What about scars? Say, from a stab wound?

Reaction score
Home Country
Vatican City State
What about scars? Say, from a stab wound?
You must get medical documents or tell them exactly what happened.

Also depends on where is stab wound.

This year, candidate was rejected because of large scar going down his arm.

Also ejected was a candidate with scar on chest.

They had concern his scarred arm makes climbing, pulling, lifting exercises risky.

Guy with scar on chest had a weak heart.

Both ejected. One guy definitive, other guy not sure (maybe temporaire to get it fixed then return).

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
A dude without a scar looks like his sister
A dude with a scar looks like his father