a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Well Suprise Suprise

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Congrats/Felicitations

A lesson for all you blues. About 18 months ago, my mates boy asked a few questions, took what I said on board and went straight to Aubagne after getting his fitness levels and french skills up. I got a Christmas card him yesterday , he made it and is living the dream out in the jungles of Guyane. Will raise a glass tonight Carl outstanding.:cool:

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
Since the posts got wiped out I had three letters from the young man and he's loving every minute of it of his career path.
The young blokes still get pissed about by the older ones, but every one gets stuck in and gets on with it especially corvees ect.

Don Pedro

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
I suppose this thread is the appropriate one, just wanted to inform that Asia_Y, informed me a week or so ago, that her brother, made it in, got his Képi Blanc and are now aiming for to go to the 2 REP.

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
I suppose this thread is the appropriate one, just wanted to inform that Asia_Y, informed me a week or so ago, that her brother, made it in, got his Képi Blanc and are now aiming for to go to the 2 REP.

To quote Gunny Hartman (OUTSTANDING)

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
Yeah but we cant let you reptiles get above your station now, can we off thread hows the boat and the family man been a while.

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
Letter from Carl this afternoon been promoted to priemier classe along with 8 others in the company been in the Legion 9 months, me thinks this young man will go far.

Don Pedro

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
Well, the stripe of Premier classe and the National defence medal Bronze echelon, comes with the paquetage since many years, not like when Voltigeur and jonny ,nor even when we was in, it was all by merit, so it was truly a Distinction back then. And a First class could hold the employement as Caporal de fonction. I Have done that, Brigadier de jour as a 1 classe and Chef d’équipe.

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
Had to wait 18 months for mine as there were so many seniors in the escardon at the time.

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Had to wait 18 months for mine as there were so many seniors in the escardon at the time.

Got my "first stripe" early as "major de promo" for the para brevet. Had my National defence medal Bronze echelon after about a year of service, automatically. No great merit there !

O

Ossie O

Unregistered
Loustic, On average in the REP one had to have around 3 years service (me-2 years 9 months) before going on a Cpl's course.With around 4 years service the powers that be,Chef de Section,will come and start asking what one's plans are for the future.If you are staying,more times than not,it's off to Castel for your Sgt's.This of course depends on service record.**Update,what I did notice at Calvi was it was normal for men to come back to the Companie into their second contract as an NCO.

Don Pedro

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
Loustic, On average in the REP one had to have around 3 years service (me-2 years 8 months) before going on a Cpl's course.With around 4 years service the powers that be,Chef de Section,will come and start asking what one's plans are for the future.If you are staying,more times than not,it's off to Castel for your Sgt's.This of course depends on service record.

Or being a daredevil as i was and hence being spied on by the Chef de groupe and the Chefs d'equipes that together with the S.O.A and Chef de Section decided who was to been getting up the ladder.

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
Or being a daredevil as i was and hence being spied on by the Chef de groupe and the Chefs d'equipes that together with the S.O.A and Chef de Section decided who was to been getting up the ladder.
How long before Brigadier then me 3 years and 4 months.

Don Pedro

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
How long before Brigadier then me 3 years and 4 months.

Less then 2 years in, got my Brigadier stripes on the 1 of July 1985. Then off on my 3rd overseastour, To Mayotte this time. :) I had Perez-Prias as Chef de Section for my C.M.E.:rolleyes: So that makes it 1year 11 months later after Basics. I sux at maths, truly!

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Don, if Im right, you joined the legion on August 1983. From memory I believe the first Iraq war was around 2000, were you there then? With 17 years service? Your photo shows Capo Chef with 2 inverted stripes. I e 10 years+, but less than 15.
Just curious, mate, don't get upset. I'm sure there is a logical explanation that I've missed.

Don Pedro

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
Don, if Im right, you joined the legion on August 1983. From memory I believe the first Iraq war was around 2000, were you there then? With 17 years service? Your photo shows Capo Chef with 2 inverted stripes. I e 10 years+, but less than 15.
Just curious, mate, don't get upset. I'm sure there is a logical explanation that I've missed.
I Enlisted the 16 of march 1983 jonny. September 1990 to March 1991 for me, i was a Caporal in the C.E.A /Section Milan 2REI 7 years of services, 5 years Rank, my Chef de section was Ltn Gillet (now General), my Company commander Griseri, my Regimental commander General Derville his second were R.I.P General Lecerf. I hope that helped to shear some confusions. Me to upset me, bring a bag of Onions! :)

For the 'Sardines' each is 5 years or above.

Last edited:

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Oops, I got my decades wrong, happens a lot lately. Could be old age sneaking up on me, I suppose. On the other hand, tha Iraq mess could confuse anybody.