a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• WARNING

We have been alerted of inappropriate behaviours on the forum. We firmly condamn any form of agressivity, harassment, threats etc...
    Members will be banned if they don't follow the rules (see rules agreement during registration setup)

What are you listening to today?

Kronenberg

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Sh$t acting and sh$t production but an interesting story by NETFLIX.

A 1000 ex- legionnaire merc unit sent in by De Gaulle against a 150 strong Irish UN contingent in the old Belgian Congo in 61.

Some nice old M1919 / 303s etc to ponder over - but it really does make the 1BEP "red berets" from the time look like clowns.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Sh$t acting and sh$t production but an interesting story by NETFLIX.

A 1000 ex- legionnaire merc unit sent in by De Gaulle against a 150 strong Irish UN contingent in the old Belgian Congo in 61.

Some nice old M1919 / 303s etc to ponder over - but it really does make the 1BEP "red berets" from the time look like clowns.

I'll give it a watch. It says it's based n a true story, I know that Irish were sent out there, but the fact that the 1st BEP is wearing red berets, doesn't give much credibility to the story. Oh and the fact that 1st BEP (battalion) became a regiment 1st September '55 (could be just an oversight).

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
You's have misunderstood...
If only Rapace was more often on board, he would of have corrected you's
Btw, i have watched the Netflix version and was enjoyable...
To say that it was a bunch of, (ex 1 BEP...is not true...
The Commander was, Foulques ex BEP...?
Some encadrement, etc (not all from the ex BEP)....
An outfit, mostly, black and near enougth locals
Paid by the mining company
The UN Irish troops... with the rules of engagement...at that period...still stands today
You can not fire upon...thèm, the attackers, unless your life ( collectif) is threatened
I learned a lot in the ex Yugo... U N
Some times the fire was from them or the others... we chewed our tongues at times... WTF
No orders can be given by a superior unless you are directly attacked...was the case at Jadoville

Kronenberg

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
You's have misunderstood...
If only Rapace was more often on board, he would of have corrected you's
Btw, i have watched the Netflix version and was enjoyable...
To say that it was a bunch of, (ex 1 BEP...is not true...
The Commander was, Foulques ex BEP...?
Some encadrement, etc (not all from the ex BEP)....
An outfit, mostly, black and near enougth locals
Paid by the mining company
The UN Irish troops... with the rules of engagement...at that period...still stands today
You can not fire upon...thèm, the attackers, unless your life ( collectif) is threatened
I learned a lot in the ex Yugo... U N
Some times the fire was from them or the others... we chewed our tongues at times... WTF
No orders can be given by a superior unless you are directly attacked...was the case at Jadoville
To be honest LPC I'd had a fair dose of highlands poison when I uploaded that yesterday night - so my facts (and my view on life in general) may have been a little distorted.

Yep - it was Foulques it seems leading a small army of goat herders. I couldn't stop laughing at the "Zulu" charge across that small field - and how nobody actually got killed with a 100 or so rounds beings fired every 15 seconds or so. Not to mention the black guy with a para brevet as a cap badge.

Anyway - ce n'est que du cinéma.

Regarding the Yugo comment. I have a similar story on the UN Buffer Zone in Nicosia in 79. 1 soldier = 1 round. You're not likely to start a war with that.

Puripuriman Tumas

Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
It all boils down to the rules applicable … and who will obey those rules, eh. “Geneva Conventions”, “Laws of Armed Conflict” and “Rules of Engagement” are only as good as those who will accord to them …
BBFBACF8-349C-4722-A0E0-75048D1607AE.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I heard a snippet of the following on a new series that I've started watching called The Outlaws, it is based in England (the series) about a group of outlaws who have to do community work together...
I had to re-watch the episode (3rd) in order to find out what it is called, it is quite catching (the song):
I wouldn't really have listened to this otherwise. I mean just look at the head on the guy

Puripuriman Tumas

Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
It all boils down to the rules applicable … and who will obey those rules, eh. “Geneva Conventions”, “Laws of Armed Conflict” and “Rules of Engagement” are only as good as those who will accord to them …
View attachment 7324
Replying/editing, sorry about the blurred text:
The figure disappearing into the distance: “All@h akhb@r!”
And the front-seater of the world’s defender’s air force: “Hand me the rules of engagement …”.
That text really is a bugger to read, sorry chaps.