a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ANSWERED What do you make of these two scumbags?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Here is an article that Ossie O sent me a couple of days ago. I've had it translated by google translate, let me know what you think:

The two Orange legionaries lose their lawsuit against the army

Arrested, the two legionaries had reported to justice "bullying" and "violence" suffered. Their cassation appeal has just been dismissed.

Their battle lasted seven years. ( I hope that they have paid that dumb left wing lawyer a max) It is definitely lost. Justice has just closed the procedure that two legionaries had launched in criminal proceedings against the corps commander, two officers and an adjutant of the 1st foreign regiment of cavalry of Orange (based today in Marseille), where they were engaged under contract. The two men in the ranks had denounced to the prosecution acts of "violence", "contempt of a subordinate", "submission to working conditions and accommodation contrary to human dignity", "arbitrary detention" and "abuse of authority by assault ”.(Good job that they weren't in jail in Calvi , Djibouti or 3 REI, because then they would have known their asses from their elbows) In its decision, the Aix-en-Provence investigating chamber confirmed the 2017 dismissal order made by the first judge responsible for investigating their complaint. In a judgment of May 9, 2019, the Court of Cassation * dismissed their appeal, excluding with no other possibility of appeal any possibility of prosecution. (bien fait pour leur gueules)

Aged 26 and 27 at the time of the events in the summer of 2012, the two legionaries of French nationality (they're probably wearing gilets jaunes at the moment) had seized the prosecutor of Nîmes with a complaint in which they denounced the "bullying" and the "humiliations" that they allegedly suffered when they had been arrested. ( Oh my god. What! :eek: :cry:) Supported by the Association for the Defense of the Rights of the Military, they pointed out in particular the "unworthy" living conditions in the buildings reserved for the punished, called "the jail", and the "abuses" of the military police (today patrol military) responsible for guarding them.

"Punished" mode and without green beret "While the Defense Code provides that a detained soldier can continue to exercise his service under normal conditions, my clients have suffered a whole series of abnormal violence", explains their lawyer Me Élodie Maumont, a lawyer specializing in defense of the military. “The legionnaire's code of honor proclaims that he will always be proud of [his] attire; my clients were deprived of their green berets, their belts and their patronymic headband and forced, for the duration of their punishment, to wear a totally inappropriate bush hat in such circumstances. ( the headband -google translate- is their name tag, and forced to wear a bush hat! So? ) Their administrative papers were taken from them, their cupboards were searched methodically. From 5 a.m. to 10 p.m., they were assigned to completely useless water-cleaning works; instead of their rank, they were called by their name preceded by the word punished. Finally, they were confined to completely obsolete stop rooms, with toilets open for all to see. In short, the institution they served never stopped stigmatizing them, treating them worse than ordinary prisoners. Nut tickets(jail admission and release papers, nothing to do with their nuts:ROFLMAO:) were also issued to them each time they entered and left, ”pleaded Me Maumont, supporting photos and videos.

The dismissal of 2017 Filed by the prosecutor, the complaint with the constitution of a civil party filed before the dean of the examining magistrates of Marseille ended with a dismissal on October 18, 2017, after hearing of 39 witnesses and placement of a non-commissioned officer under the status of "assisted witness". The Court of Appeal confirmed the dismissal. The unsanitary conditions of the stopping places?(jail time) "They correspond to the powers vested in the army [...] to impose disciplinary restrictions on freedom and do not fall within the provisions of the Criminal Code. »Arbitrary detention? “It follows from the procedure that these same premises were open and that the limitation of exits is characteristic of stops. »Locker searches? “They cannot be assimilated, in the absence of established physical shocks, to acts of violence. »The outfit and the straw hat? "Not likely to offend dignity and justified by the need to differentiate with other soldiers. The use of the term "punished"? "This designation of a disciplinary status is not of an outrageous nature, any more than the words of accused, accused or indicted in a judicial setting. One by one, the instruction room closed all the doors. As a last resort, the two legionaries appealed on points of law. “The court of the second degree, after having analyzed all the documents of the procedure, responded by a motivation free from insufficiency to the memory deposited before it; its appreciation is sovereign, "ruled on May 9, 2019 the criminal chamber of the Court of Cassation, which judges only on the form, classifying the file irreversibly. Me Julien Pinelli, usual counsel of the Foreign Legion and lawyer for the adjutant of the military police, directly implicated, welcomed "a very satisfactory decision and perfectly in accordance with the rule of law". "None of the alleged facts found any basis, so it was right that the innocence of my client was recognized," he reacted.

*The highest court in the French judicial system, the Court of Cassation judges civil, commercial, social and criminal cases as a last resort. Its role is to verify the conformity of the decisions of the courts and the courts with the rules of law.
(All italics between brackets) are my personal comments.
bien fait pour leur gueules = that'll teach 'em
Me = Maître = counsel.

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
cheers Joe...this was unthinkable 30 years ago. We had two choices 1: shut up and cop it on the chin. 2: or admit to oneself that the the Legion was a wrong decision, and do a runner. Maybe these two lads thought they were joining the boy scouts. Good riddance!

Ex-Pongo

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
Hahaha oh my! couple of pansies.

During my stint in the detention centre (barracks jail) my rank was SUS (soldier under sentence) and I was made to mop floors, polish brass, clean toilets and drilled in 35 degrees of German summer til I was stumbling. Marched to every meal and forbidden to talk to any of my mates. I lost weight, money and the will to live.
Lesson is, take your licks like a man and don't get caught next time.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Hahaha oh my! couple of pansies.

During my stint in the detention centre (barracks jail) my rank was SUS (soldier under sentence) and I was made to mop floors, polish brass, clean toilets and drilled in 35 degrees of German summer til I was stumbling. Marched to every meal and forbidden to talk to any of my mates. I lost weight, money and the will to live.
Lesson is, take your licks like a man and don't get caught next time.
Nothing like a good beasting 😆

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
In Kreider Algeria, the jail cell was a 4 ft. long, 4 ft wide by 5 ft. high concrete cell.
In Saida they had regular concrete cells.
In Company discipline the cells were about 4 ft wide, 6 ft long by 7 ft. high with a dirt floor.
In khenchela Algeria, the jail cell was a hole in the ground covered with wooden planks, in one corner was a pail where they would drop the food in, the other corner a pail for human waste.
You had to hope that the food was dropped in the appropriate pail.
The prisoner would be let out of the hole every day to do corvee etc.
For "serious " crimes like deserting or stealing stuff from the legion, you could get three times a day to run, crawl and the duck walk with a backpack filled with rocks.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Here is an article that Ossie O sent me a couple of days ago. I've had it translated by google translate, let me know what you think:

The two Orange legionaries lose their lawsuit against the army

Arrested, the two legionaries had reported to justice "bullying" and "violence" suffered. Their cassation appeal has just been dismissed.

Their battle lasted seven years. ( I hope that they have paid that dumb left wing lawyer a max) It is definitely lost. Justice has just closed the procedure that two legionaries had launched in criminal proceedings against the corps commander, two officers and an adjutant of the 1st foreign regiment of cavalry of Orange (based today in Marseille), where they were engaged under contract. The two men in the ranks had denounced to the prosecution acts of "violence", "contempt of a subordinate", "submission to working conditions and accommodation contrary to human dignity", "arbitrary detention" and "abuse of authority by assault ”.(Good job that they weren't in jail in Calvi , Djibouti or 3 REI, because then they would have known their asses from their elbows) In its decision, the Aix-en-Provence investigating chamber confirmed the 2017 dismissal order made by the first judge responsible for investigating their complaint. In a judgment of May 9, 2019, the Court of Cassation * dismissed their appeal, excluding with no other possibility of appeal any possibility of prosecution. (bien fait pour leur gueules)

Aged 26 and 27 at the time of the events in the summer of 2012, the two legionaries of French nationality (they're probably wearing gilets jaunes at the moment) had seized the prosecutor of Nîmes with a complaint in which they denounced the "bullying" and the "humiliations" that they allegedly suffered when they had been arrested. ( Oh my god. What! :eek: :cry:) Supported by the Association for the Defense of the Rights of the Military, they pointed out in particular the "unworthy" living conditions in the buildings reserved for the punished, called "the jail", and the "abuses" of the military police (today patrol military) responsible for guarding them.

"Punished" mode and without green beret "While the Defense Code provides that a detained soldier can continue to exercise his service under normal conditions, my clients have suffered a whole series of abnormal violence", explains their lawyer Me Élodie Maumont, a lawyer specializing in defense of the military. “The legionnaire's code of honor proclaims that he will always be proud of [his] attire; my clients were deprived of their green berets, their belts and their patronymic headband and forced, for the duration of their punishment, to wear a totally inappropriate bush hat in such circumstances. ( the headband -google translate- is their name tag, and forced to wear a bush hat! So? ) Their administrative papers were taken from them, their cupboards were searched methodically. From 5 a.m. to 10 p.m., they were assigned to completely useless water-cleaning works; instead of their rank, they were called by their name preceded by the word punished. Finally, they were confined to completely obsolete stop rooms, with toilets open for all to see. In short, the institution they served never stopped stigmatizing them, treating them worse than ordinary prisoners. Nut tickets(jail admission and release papers, nothing to do with their nuts:ROFLMAO:) were also issued to them each time they entered and left, ”pleaded Me Maumont, supporting photos and videos.

The dismissal of 2017 Filed by the prosecutor, the complaint with the constitution of a civil party filed before the dean of the examining magistrates of Marseille ended with a dismissal on October 18, 2017, after hearing of 39 witnesses and placement of a non-commissioned officer under the status of "assisted witness". The Court of Appeal confirmed the dismissal. The unsanitary conditions of the stopping places?(jail time) "They correspond to the powers vested in the army [...] to impose disciplinary restrictions on freedom and do not fall within the provisions of the Criminal Code. »Arbitrary detention? “It follows from the procedure that these same premises were open and that the limitation of exits is characteristic of stops. »Locker searches? “They cannot be assimilated, in the absence of established physical shocks, to acts of violence. »The outfit and the straw hat? "Not likely to offend dignity and justified by the need to differentiate with other soldiers. The use of the term "punished"? "This designation of a disciplinary status is not of an outrageous nature, any more than the words of accused, accused or indicted in a judicial setting. One by one, the instruction room closed all the doors. As a last resort, the two legionaries appealed on points of law. “The court of the second degree, after having analyzed all the documents of the procedure, responded by a motivation free from insufficiency to the memory deposited before it; its appreciation is sovereign, "ruled on May 9, 2019 the criminal chamber of the Court of Cassation, which judges only on the form, classifying the file irreversibly. Me Julien Pinelli, usual counsel of the Foreign Legion and lawyer for the adjutant of the military police, directly implicated, welcomed "a very satisfactory decision and perfectly in accordance with the rule of law". "None of the alleged facts found any basis, so it was right that the innocence of my client was recognized," he reacted.

*The highest court in the French judicial system, the Court of Cassation judges civil, commercial, social and criminal cases as a last resort. Its role is to verify the conformity of the decisions of the courts and the courts with the rules of law.
(All italics between brackets) are my personal comments.
bien fait pour leur gueules = that'll teach 'em
Me = Maître = counsel.
It’s wankers like that. that gives the legion a bad name!

Ex-Pongo

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
Ironically, like
In khenchela Algeria, the jail cell was a hole in the ground covered with wooden planks, in one corner was a pail where they would drop the food in, the other corner a pail for human waste.
You had to hope that the food was dropped in the appropriate pail.
The prisoner would be let out of the hole every day to do corvee etc.
For "serious " crimes like deserting or stealing stuff from the legion, you could get three times a day to run, crawl and the duck walk with a backpack filled with rocks.

Now that's a prison. We should do that here with serious criminals.

maim

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
In days gone by the taule in Calvi was on top of the citadel. You slept in your underpants in the cells, old ammo storage?
La Douche in the morning was running around the parapets in your underwear and getting sprayed with a fire hose by the guarde de taule a CCH usually drunk!
Two guys complained to Paris Match and lo and behold the new jail in Camp Rafalli appeared over night, when the investigating committee turned up for an inspection of the terrible conditions Legionnaire were kept in prison they threw the complaint out. About 1981? correct me if I'm wrong.
Aye,
M.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
In days gone by the taule in Calvi was on top of the citadel. You slept in your underpants in the cells, old ammo storage?
La Douche in the morning was running around the parapets in your underwear and getting sprayed with a fire hose by the guarde de taule a CCH usually drunk!
Two guys complained to Paris Match and lo and behold the new jail in Camp Rafalli appeared over night, when the investigating committee turned up for an inspection of the terrible conditions Legionnaire were kept in prison they threw the complaint out. About 1981? correct me if I'm wrong.
Aye,
M.
You are right about the losers who complained about the treatment they received while serving in the REP. they were losers nothing more nothing less! Wrong about being en taule! there always was a jail in camp raffalli before and after this incident. Up at the citadel was where they sent the hardcore types and they deserved everything they got! the cavalry/REP weren’t unique in this kind of incident. There was a lot of shite that happened with the 2REI in Corte / Bonifacio back in the day. we were called in a few times to track down déserters and the like. That’s the way it was back then. I make no distinction between regiments or the punishment received. Nobody forced us to sign the contract!

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
Aye,
M.
The Arta Hilton for the REP when on company tour of Djibouti

Attachments

• E9917154-2ADF-462D-92E1-685C59F6138E.jpeg
    E9917154-2ADF-462D-92E1-685C59F6138E.jpeg
    58 KB · Views: 5

jonny

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
2 REP Jail birds on corvee in Algeria abt 1960, watched over by a petit caporal.

5F23B198-8498-43EE-B9AD-F389CB47AA43.jpeg

jonny

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Well, as for prison cells; I have actually spent at least one night in prison cells on four continents! Seattle in USA, Belgium in Europe, Thailand in Asia, Senegal and Algeria in Africa. And the best food was definitely in Algeria, with wine as well! 😎

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
The Marine Corps used to have the Correctional Custody Unit, last stop before the Brig (Prison). It was run by maladjusted former Drill Instructors and MPs, usually 45 days of breaking rocks and reeducation. The funny part was other services used to send their wayward youth to the CCU and they would lose their their minds, they were never treated like a Marine and their boot camps are jokes

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand

I copied this link from Rashisan's post in the "General chit chat" section. I know that few people look at it. The black adjudant has said that they have to come up with ways of recruiting more Frenchmen into the legion.
Then walks in the boss and says that he too has spent the weekend pondering the same question.
Next thing you know the 1 RE boys (yes all the PILES and PRLE depend on the 1 RE) start breaking in to some kind of rap o_O song. Is this the message that they want to send out to the French living in the cités (suburbs)? If you can't make it as a footballer than come and rap in the legion?
I don't know how long it took to make the video, but it does give the impression that the cadre at FdN have plenty of time on their hands; feet on the desk, one of them is skipping through his collection of Thai ladyboys, and other one is trying to increase his...-well I'll leave that to your imagination.
Although I've never had any direct dealings with the racaille (Noun. racaille f (plural racailles) (derogatory) people, mainly young, who engage in antisocial behaviour; rabble, riffraff i.e. scumbags) living in the suburbs in the Paris region, but I used to work in the notorious quartier nord of Marseilles. And these are the ones that the PRLE want to recruit. Bonne chance :whistle:

Last edited:

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States

I copied this link from Rashisan's post in the "General chit chat" section. I know that few people look at it. The black adjudant has said that they have to come up with ways of recruiting more Frenchmen into the legion.
Then walks in the boss and says that he too has spent the weekend pondering the same question.
Next thing you know the 1 RE boys (yes all the PILES and PRLE depend on the 1 RE) start breaking in to some kind of rap o_O song. Is this the message that they want to send out to the French living in the cités (suburbs)? If you can't make it as a footballer than come and rap in the legion?
I don't know how long it took to make the video, but it does give the impression that the cadre at FdN have plenty of time on their hands; feet on the desk, one of them is skipping through his collection of Thai ladyboys, and other one is trying to increase his...-well I'll leave that to your imagination.
Although I've never had any direct dealings with the racaille (Noun. racaille f (plural racailles) (derogatory) people, mainly young, who engage in antisocial behaviour; rabble, riffraff i.e. scumbags) living in the suburbs in the Paris region, but I used to work in the notorious quartier nord of Marseilles. And these are the ones that the PRLE want to recruit. Bonne chance :whistle:
Aye. Sad to see the legion come to this. Hate to say it but if I was a young lad today and I had a choice between joining the legion or the British army? I think I know what that choice would be. even the gunners!😊 29 commando and 7para both damn good regiments. as for those buffoons in the video? I’d like to give them all a good kick in the arse! including the adjutant!

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I was marched off the parade ground for 'dumb insolence' straight to the Guardroom Cells. Spent one night and learnt to clean the heads with a tooth brush. Also to paint all the bricks white. Then full kit muster every 4 hours, never satisfactory. Finally an extra dill in full fighting order on the mad acre. (Parade Ground)

All an interesting experience with several former WW2 Cdos NCOs' as instructors. Very hard but very fair and not bullies.