What does it take to get send to Mayotte?

Peter Lyderik

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Denmark
Does anyone knows, if a posting to Mayotte is mainly for Legionnaires with at least five years service in the Legion????

1573762323736.png
15 years veteran.

10 years veteran.
More pictures here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/stef974run/page370

1573763465874.png
Mostly grown up men with at least 5 to 10 years service in the Legion.

Last edited:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi Peter, in my day you could go straight from basic. however nowadays with only two permanent overseas postings, I'd say it would be reserved for those who have finished or nearing the end of the their first contract. Remembering that if you have 4 years and want to go overseas you will have have to sign on for another 3 years.
Also it is only a detachment so there won't be that many places available. You would have more chance of going to 3 REI because it has a permanent combat company which is for the 'young bucks'.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
It all depends when the photo was taken. As I've said, if you have a couple of years ( usually 3or 4) and you are well noted enough to be able to sign on for another 3 years, then why not. If you look at the 13 when they were in Emirates, it's the same thing.
When we finally heard that the 5RE were quitting French Polynesia and being disbanded, on the next detachment after mine there were nothing but a couple of ancien CCHs and high ranking NCOs. To the point where adjudant's were replacing corporals, doing the same job except for the corvées and guard duty.

Last edited:
OP
Peter Lyderik

Peter Lyderik

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Denmark
The pictures from the link are from 2011, also the last picture I posted. The marching picture is from 2019.

Most viewed threads of the week