a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What does the Legion Need?

Reaction score
Home Country
Costa Rica
My determination is rock solid, but I like to go prepared to any situation, I'm leaving, I'm currently saving up the money.

But I'm not leaving until I've made sure I have something, that je ne sais quoi that will give me an edge.

I can do 12 pull-ups any bad day, run 10km under 50 min, and do over 80 push-ups in 2min, I'm fit, but that doesn't mean shit, I know plenty of athletes that are not Legion material.

I want to know what stands out, what attributes show beyond a shadow of a doubt, that person knows where the f*ck he is, and what the f*ck he is doing there.

I'm almost done with French, I'm a polyglot, and I would love to help my fellow Latinos and Anglos, with French, but I also speak decent Russian, in case I need it for my Eastern European friends.

So that's about it.

So, what skills I'm I missing? Leadership? Voluntarism? Camaraderie? Mental toughness? Knowledge about the solder profession? You name it.

I've read enough post about "standards" and the whole process, that doesn't concern me, there are plenty of treads for that, I've read most, too many kids asking the same tired questions.

I want to hear the attributes that you saw in recruits that helped them become Legionaries, list them down, tell me you anecdotes, and I'll work tirelessly to find a way to cultivate those attributes in me.

I have a quite a few months to save and prepare, I'm saving enough petrol to burn all my bridges, f*ck this place, I'm out. See you soon there.

Cheers and love.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 1

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi Bruno,

Your first post since you joined in January 2018.
About you ; Just a dumb tico joining the FFL later this month, is what you wrote back then. Are you a troll, Bruno ?

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
BrunoFallas,

First welcome back. By now with your several Gap Years you should have ascertained some basic military requirements and read up on your Legion history. Maybe in your absence you might have even had a peek at the contributions from those in Green.

I could not care less about your physical achievements and remain unimpressed. Also I don't believe that in fact you will ever present yourself at the gates.

I think it is utter BS and that you are a time waster.

Kronenberg

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Hi Bruno,

Your first post since you joined in January 2018.
About you ; Just a dumb tico joining the FFL later this month, is what you wrote back then. Are you a troll, Bruno ?
"Cheers and Love" ?

Really?

Throw him in the mincer Joe.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
BrunoFallas,

First welcome back. By now with your several Gap Years you should have ascertained some basic military requirements and read up on your Legion history. Maybe in your absence you might have even had a peek at the contributions from those in Green.

I could not care less about your physical achievements and remain unimpressed. Also I don't believe that in fact you will ever present yourself at the gates.

I think it is utter BS and that you are a time waster.
Extremely well put Chas. 👏👏👏

Reaction score
Home Country
Costa Rica
Yeah I took quite a gap. Needed to mature, needed to get in shape. Needed to change a lot about my attitude. I was proud, stupid and self destructive back then, and I was full of myself.

It's been three years since I wanted to come, and used that time to fix my stuff. I'm not discouraged by the insults, I understand the apprehension, and frankly, from your perspective, I'm sure I'm just another idiot wannabe. I understand that.

That still doesn't discourage me, this last three years I had to really dig deep and fix some of my unsolved sh$t. I'm not a troll, I'm not special, I'm just again, a dumb ass tico who wants to leave.

And after struggling with unemployment, poverty and whole slew of sh$t, I finally have the means to leave.

I don't intend to impress anyone with my shit, I'm just asking for advice on basically... attitude. Cause that's my biggest issue. And though I'm working on it, it's always the greatest problem.

Four years ago I had a ticket and nothing more, I wasn't physically, and or mentally ready, and my visa tourist visa got denied. (The yellow vest protest coincided with my travel).

And in retrospect that was good, this three years gave enough of a beating that I no longer think I'm the hottest sh$t.

This is why I'm honestly asking for advice on mindset, which again, I think we all know it's the most important, and often overlooked aspect of joining the FFL.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Yeah I took quite a gap. Needed to mature, needed to get in shape. Needed to change a lot about my attitude. I was proud, stupid and self destructive back then, and I was full of myself.

It's been three years since I wanted to come, and used that time to fix my stuff. I'm not discouraged by the insults, I understand the apprehension, and frankly, from your perspective, I'm sure I'm just another idiot wannabe. I understand that.

That still doesn't discourage me, this last three years I had to really dig deep and fix some of my unsolved shit. I'm not a troll, I'm not special, I'm just again, a dumb ass tico who wants to leave.

And after struggling with unemployment, poverty and whole slew of shit, I finally have the means to leave.

I don't intend to impress anyone with my shit, I'm just asking for advice on basically... attitude. Cause that's my biggest issue. And though I'm working on it, it's always the greatest problem.

Four years ago I had a ticket and nothing more, I wasn't physically, and or mentally ready, and my visa tourist visa got denied. (The yellow vest protest coincided with my travel).

And in retrospect that was good, this three years gave enough of a beating that I no longer think I'm the hottest shit.

This is why I'm honestly asking for advice on mindset, which again, I think we all know it's the most important, and often overlooked aspect of joining the FFL.

Cheers.
Just out of curiosity what would have prevented you just making your way to France and taking a chance like all other potential persons wanting to join the Legion?
On your own omission you have had access to the information and lots more regarding the Legion, Don’t no what your trying to achieve with coming back unless this stokes your alter ego when your waiting for a new game to down load.

Kronenberg

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Is this looney season or have all the game boys and play stations frozen? We seem to be getting some right loons washed up with this tide!
I believe him Pap. Honestly I do.

OOOps - what's this hook doing in my mouth?

Kronenberg

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Be humble and stop looking or making excuses....for anything (only the guilty and condemned have regrets)
L.P.C.
Guilty? Condemned? They sound familiar words. Wonder where I've heard those before?

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
My determination is rock solid, but I like to go prepared to any situation, I'm leaving, I'm currently saving up the money.

But I'm not leaving until I've made sure I have something, that je ne sais quoi that will give me an edge.

I can do 12 pull-ups any bad day, run 10km under 50 min, and do over 80 push-ups in 2min, I'm fit, but that doesn't mean shit, I know plenty of athletes that are not Legion material.

I want to know what stands out, what attributes show beyond a shadow of a doubt, that person knows where the f*ck he is, and what the f*ck he is doing there.

I'm almost done with French, I'm a polyglot, and I would love to help my fellow Latinos and Anglos, with French, but I also speak decent Russian, in case I need it for my Eastern European friends.

So that's about it.

So, what skills I'm I missing? Leadership? Voluntarism? Camaraderie? Mental toughness? Knowledge about the solder profession? You name it.

I've read enough post about "standards" and the whole process, that doesn't concern me, there are plenty of treads for that, I've read most, too many kids asking the same tired questions.

I want to hear the attributes that you saw in recruits that helped them become Legionaries, list them down, tell me you anecdotes, and I'll work tirelessly to find a way to cultivate those attributes in me.

I have a quite a few months to save and prepare, I'm saving enough petrol to burn all my bridges, f*ck this place, I'm out. See you soon there.

Cheers and love.
Humility seems to be missing .

Reaction score
Home Country
Costa Rica
Be humble and stop looking or making excuses....for anything (only the guilty and condemned have regrets)
L.P.C.
Thank you a lot, I really appreciate that sort of advice. Love that quote too. I will work on that. Cause I know I do make a lot of excuses for sh$t in my life.

Reaction score
Home Country
Costa Rica
Just out of curiosity what would have prevented you just making your way to France and taking a chance like all other potential persons wanting to join the Legion?
On your own omission you have had access to the information and lots more regarding the Legion, Don’t no what your trying to achieve with coming back unless this stokes your alter ego when your waiting for a new game to down load.