a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is "basic training" like ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hubner

Unregistered
I find this one of the best posts about the Legion i have read on this forum. Thank you for taking the time to inform us wannabes.

Madmonk 7.5

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Netherlands
What you did was worse than deserting :mad:
How do you figure that? Granted, he wasted the time and money the Legion spent on him, but the Legion allowed him to leave. In the end it is probably better for the Legion and himself.

Kitzingen

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Holy shit this is exactly what I have always wanted. I haven't even gotten through the first page yet, but thank you so much dude for being so thorough in your experiences as it looks. I really appreciate it, you fucking rock.

Kitzingen

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
A recurring theme it would appear. ;)

Ha, yeah I had noticed that as well. I had assumed you meant that they were all pissed off the whole time, I just realized you probably meant kind of crazy. :)

Sugardaddy

Reaction score
Home Country
Poland
Wow seems like you had great time, I understand it was hard and taxing, but in the end you did pull through with what seems like a smile on your face :). I am surprised you opted out cause you seemed, from you perspective at least, to be doing well for yourself there.
Well I would like to have a similar account of the Regiment life since that is where its at, too bad you could not provide us with that. Keep looking for yourself good luck m8 ;)

Wolfer_andrei

Reaction score
Home Country
Romania
I don't know man, since what I've read you didn't liked in there because of that many activities "non-militaristic" (like corvee and such) and that few militaristic right? Or, that's the first thing I read on this forum, and a thing that I've heard already, is that basic training is indeed very "basic". I wonder whether you didn't leave just before the interesting part started.
One more thing, it's a little weird how you considered all superiors to be mad, the guy that was elected to say the code when you received the kepis a twat, etc. Maybe you didn't had the right attitude to feel good there. Kinda sad to think a guy who really wanted that was sent home and you got accepted. On the other hand congrats for giving it a shot so that you are now at ease mentally, instead of wondering "what if" for the rest of your life, and thanks for the detailed info.

lloydy1984

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Good read mate. Brought back some good memories from Aubagne and Castel. I remember the Brazalian cch from Aubagne: he smashed one of my mates when we were rouge, a downward punch to the head if i remember correct lol. The mad English guy from Castel, Karsten who was injured as well, met him too complete fuckin lunatic good fella in an alcoholic i don't give a **** type of way.

Phantom309

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Lloydy1984 - Dude, that's the guy! Fucking nutter. He still owes me €150!! He's a good guy, from the town next to me so I may well see him again as he's back home, inapte militaire.

Wolfer_andrei - I get your point mate. I only refer to CCH as being "quite mad" as they generally are. As far as taking a place that someone else could of had, it's shite. My section was a small one anyway, just 35 when the average was nearer 60, so it wasn't like I took the place of some shit hot potential recruit. If they were a better prospect than me they'd be in anyway. Also there was a guy in my section that went straight to Aubagne for the équipe de cross to serve his time and get a passport within a couple of years and represent France at 10 km. He enlisted under his real name and will be at the Olympics, so don't think only the most dedicated and deserving get a place. Even so, thanks for the compliments, hope it was useful.

Oh and the guy that said the code was a twat, he wasn't chosen because he was such a great guy, he was chosen because he happened to stand middle of front rank due to his height.

Lillegutt

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
It was a good read... I'll have to run through the shower and hope I make work in time now..

mammikoura

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Finland
Really nice post, haven't had the time to read all of it yet but it already brought back so many memories.

And as for the Polish caporal-chef in Aubagne... when we got to rouge I honestly thought he will kill us all in the most painful way he could think of (this alone proves that he is the right guy for the job). But spending the one week with him allowed me to discover that he was a really great guy. :p

toast

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Excellent write up.

It seems like you played by the rules, and decided it wasn't for you which is fair enough.

If you supposedly "took" the place of another recruit when you started, the same logic means you later created a space for someone going through after you. Swings and roundabouts on that argument.

dura

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Thank you for sharing your experiences. Nobody should hold what you did against you - you did what you had to do.

Best of luck on your future endeavors.

Samtoo

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
The Tropic of Mexico...near Little Havana.
Home Country
United States
What you did was worse than deserting :mad:
Thank you Phantom for sharing your tale. I found it to be one of the best written posts on the forum. I don't think I read a reason as to WHY you decided to leave. You knew what to expect... You made an informed decision to enlist. It may have been legal but it doesn't seem right... I'm with you CdeChiotte.

Rufomagus

Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
Hi mes amis,

Hey Phantom309, I think I understand where you are coming from. Sometimes it just takes awhile to realise that something isn't what you want. This is why they give us exit points. It's no good for the Legion to have someone who doesn't want to be there, and it's no good for the person who is wanting to leave.

Bonne chance!

jpqs

Reaction score
Home Country
Mexico
Thank you very much for your post, but i think you should have had waited until you got posted to a regiment to make your final desicion. Good luck

S

Scouser

Unregistered
This thread should be made a sticky. It's far and away the best thread I have read here. Insightful, sobering, brutally honest and contemplative it has certainly given me considerable food for thought.

Thank you for taking the time to post this, I’m very grateful to you and the very best for your future.

Status
Not open for further replies.