a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is it like?

Reaction score
Home Country
Spain
Hi guys I was thinking of joining the Legion but I wanted to ask a few questions.

What is it like when you've just joined? Could you tell me the process in a few simple steps?

How long is the training?

How long will I have to wait to be able to go out to visit someone and how often will I be allowed to go out? Like going out every afternoon or weekend?

How long will I have to wait to use a phone and communicate?

How long will I have to wait to become an NCO? And what are the benefits of becoming one in terms of money and leave?

Can I choose st all where to be posted after the training?

Etoiles_mortant

Pro Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Greece
Hello and welcome to the forums.
You can find detailed answers to your questions in the forums, the official Legion website and even on thousand numerous youtube videos.

Answers in a nutshell:
What is it like when you've just joined? Could you tell me the process in a few simple steps?
You take a mini-IQ and physical test when you pass the door -> pass the normal tests in pre-selection -> pass normal tests in selection -> get sent to Ferme to become a man.
How long is the training?
Basic training is 5 months in the Farm. Depending on speciality and regiment you get additional training afterwards, ranging from a month to everyday-for-the-rest-of-your-contract.
How long will I have to wait to be able to go out to visit someone and how often will I be allowed to go out
After you are done with your basic training. You can have weekends off if you have no work, but they will always find something for you to volunteer on.
How long will I have to wait to use a phone and communicate?
After basic training.
How long will I have to wait to become an NCO? And what are the benefits of becoming one in terms of money and leave?
Realistically 5 years. Benefit is more money.
Can I choose st all where to be posted after the training?
The top grading legionnaires get to state their preferences. The Legion then sends them to wherever they need people.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
On this topic, I was wondering how likely it is that a legionnaire will be deployed/serve in combat within the next five years? I don't particularly care if its a mechanic fixing a vehicle part or a dude stirring a pot, but I'd like to know how likely it is that one would be actively taking part in a combat operation/warfare these days, within the term of a five year contract.

I've heard it said that in the Legion "another war is just around the corner", so, is this what its really like?

Reaction score
Home Country
Spain
Also, what about the money? When will I be allowed to use my money? I mean if I want to send money every month to my family abroad. I would like to save 50% of my salary and send them the other 50%

Reaction score
Home Country
Spain
How can I go from just regular Legionnaire to 3•REI as quick as possible?

If I go on a mission, how long would it be normally?

I guess there's a lot of people coming in and leaving so, I am guessing it must be fairly easy to go up the rank of you stay more than 5 years, right?

How can I make the less traumatic for my wife? Because she would like to see me often after the basic training? How could I do that?

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
NEHEMIAS PEDRET ANTON you should listen Joe's advice and be bit more polite. Anyway I will answer your questions.

You are allowed to live outside base after first 5 y (man, I answered this question last night to that Italian guy) . You can use your money after basic training (6 months) maybe bit earlier, but I'm not sure.

You can go to 3e REI right after basics if you are among best and you ask for it. Also if there is need for men in that REG you don't have to be best.

Missions are usually 5 to 6 months (maybe bit less).

You can make less traumatic for your wife if you told her that there is really small chance you gonna go on deployment. Tell her that you will do probably do vigipirate (google it) whole contract. And even if you go on deployment that would be peace keeping mission (that really sounds good, politician using it a lot :)).
She could see you often, but she need to come to France.

Geneticcz

Reaction score
Home Country
Antarctica
lol straight up ignored everyones reply and just pasted more questions XD everyone has questions specifically to their situations but u didnt even try to read/ search for anything, anywhere at all lmao

Reaction score
Home Country
Spain
Perhaps I don't have the time to do that because of my work?

Isn't this a forum to ask questions, that's what this forum is for?

I just wanted to ask a few questions, not upset anybody...

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Good luck on all these ideas, really.

DCLXVI what is 12th planet? I mean we have 8. Even Pluto is not considered as planet anymore. If you go with conspiracy theory and add Nibiru that still only 10.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia

Yes it is, but it's good to use at least some of "Le Bon Ton" from real life even on forums. If you in real life come up to some group of strangers you will not just start randomly to ask questions. You will introduce yourself or at least say hi.

I did same mistake as you and I'm regarding now. Before this, I was member of one forum for people behaved like animals so I thought that is case on every forum (which certainly is not). To be worst that forum gathered people with high education and which consider himself to be highly intelligent. don't know about that but they are very low in culture.

This place is not great, but is better than that.

Don't get me wrong i just friendly advice.

Reaction score
Home Country
Egypt
Did the same mistake too, won't hurt anyone if you introduced yourself and gave a little greeting and thanking. I mean keep in mind these guys are just volunteering valuable info that they have all learned the hard way. You really gotta give credit to all the legionnaires on this forum who are just very friendly, helpful and ready to assist in any way possible. These people have no bound whatsoever to reply to any of the wannabe questions, yet they do. Some of them are actually currently serving legionnaires with barely any free time to spare yet they choose to help you mate. Just another friendly advice by the way :)
And hey please do not forget to check the link I sent you, it will help you a lot and your wife to go through the whole foreign legion phase.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom

My advise stay of the form don't read anything as long as your healthy and resanable fit (don't forget training is to get you fit) just go and join like we did back in the day, its your Donald Duck (luck) if you get accepted or not no difrent than it was depending on world affairs sometimes the percentage of people wanting to join goes up, but your opening questions would get me to sugest you may be better joining your regular army (your country) as outcomes regiments postings and active duty are really the future as I have no crystal ball, I would suggest if your motivated give it a go but don't get bogged down on this site as 80% is crap.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
My advise stay of the form don't read anything as long as your healthy and resanable fit (don't forget training is to get you fit) just go and join like we did back in the day, its your Donald Duck (luck) if you get accepted or not no difrent than it was depending on world affairs sometimes the percentage of people wanting to join goes up, but your opening questions would get me to sugest you may be better joining your regular army (your country) as outcomes regiments postings and active duty are really the future as I have no crystal ball, I would suggest if your motivated give it a go but don't get bogged down on this site as 80% is crap.

On reflection reading my posting above the 80% crap is on the basis of this.
I find it hard to understand why for so long we have allowed replies to questions from people that have never served I think any person that from getting over the line even if just a hair cut and a lift back to the train station have a valued contribution (but remember that’s their personal experience) hold on to that thought and make your own judgment on replies and content!
I always think this site forgets what was the face of the legion BITD I personally served in a jock unit 1st A&SH then got into bother pouting my military training to the services of the underworld so sitting under Bow Street magistrates court I had one plan get bail and get over to the legion but my last stunt of prison I had decided next time I get nicked it’s plan B any good military guy has a plan I risk asses all the time personal survival. Managed to pay a good lawyer enough to convince for bail and on my toes it was Legion here I come.
So sorry to any greens that may think I have not made the cut as getting my outed but after reading posts on jail in the legion and being jailed in every place I was posted smashing rocks in the midday sun and being broken and discharged medically one thing I can say for sure I was fortunate through chance and choice to serve alongside some of the best of the best the REP was good times hard work and lots of beer and mad stunts anyone doing leave with us in Paris and hanging out will tell you we had a ball it was mad so my motivation was jail or Legion and as a binge drinker it was always going to end up tits up I could write a book silver spoon boy alcoholic joins the Legion and makes the REP

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
On reflection reading my posting above the 80% crap is on the basis of this.
I find it hard to understand why for so long we have allowed replies to questions from people that have never served
I guess because no ex or currently serving legionars are willing to answer every stupid questions again and again.

Whatever, I'm sick of being trashed over and over on this forum.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand

Hi NPA, not sure that we are on the same wave length here. A forum is for sharing i.e. give a little take a little. We all appreciate that you work hard, but I get the impression that rather than take a little time to read through the threads and use the search function you would rather just have the answers. The answers have been laid out for you by Etoile-montant, Dusa and lien given by Keegan.

As for two of your questions, how to get to 3 REI as soon as possible and how to see your wife as much as possible? Maybe you should take time out and read through the threads.

And don't worry you haven't upset anyone.