a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the path that someone must take to become a FFL sniper?

Old Adj

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
In my day in 4eme esc, the "tireur d'elite" was actually the new guy if he could shoot or not never came into consideration, simple fact on the orbat we had 1 bolt action per section and some one had to carry it !!. The fact that we had VAB HOT'S 15 tonne APC'S with a missile rack on top, 4 missiles in the rack and another 8 in the vehicule, Hot missiles = 4Km in 17 Sec wire guided 3 VAB'S in a section/ group, plus a MILAN post, seriously wtf would we do with a bolt action. but the morale of the Legion is " Don't ask questions just do the job your given" oh I forgot to mention each VAB had a Browning 1/2 inch as well. each FAMAS can launch grenades, and if it goes tits up, each legionnaire has his opal ( 3 inch knife for making your casse croute) and would willingly show you the Camerone spirit..
Hey Wolff, I think perhaps you mean “Opinelâ€￾ and not “Opalâ€￾ (but we know what you mean)!

wolff

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
England
Yes mon adj, you're right... Spelling and drinking do not mix, but that never stopped anyone from trying. Do they still serve free beer and wine at the ordinaire? Probably another great tradition that went down the drain with the camp brothel, still shit happens and to the new generation to carry on the tradition.

G.I. Joe

Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I said every Infantry regiment has their own ‘snipers’. In the Legion that means 2e REI (standard infantry) or 2e REP (airborne infantry).
Ahhhh so you did - my bad - that makes A LOT more sense now - thanks

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
visé droit et visé juste. ..or if you prefer, aim straight and shoot straight

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Learning to shoot before you go could not hurt , if a wannabe got through selection and started basic and always done well on the range I`m sure it would be noticed , a real sniper fully understands ballistics,can judge wind and understands the increments on his scope reticle , I`d guess Legion scopes are in mils? if so learn to use a scope marked out in mils.
I dont know what scope the new HK416 is issued with? or what the latest sniper rifle is ?

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Long range shooting is not an art or a"born with it " skill , its a science, if you can learn basic science you can learn long range shooting , applying it to soldiering is another matter .

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Long range shooting is not an art or a"born with it " skill , its a science, if you can learn basic science you can learn long range shooting , applying it to soldiering is another matter .
Absolutely, you have to learn long range shooting, but it will always come down to the basics. You can shoot a 1000 rounds a month and still be a shit shot, stance, grip and techniques are critical. Long range shooting is mastering the basics and then taking it a step further. You can be taught how to identify trace and such but it also comes down to feeling and gut instinct. Sometimes you've got to use "Kentucky Windage."

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Aiming thru a scope (magnifyed, 5x,8x,10x or more is not a science. ..it is a technical achivement by progress (unless you are a total blind bat with a shaky hand ) = stay off the booze and weed, if so (but no guarentee
Aiming to get thru todays sélection
By reading your horoscope in the daily paparazzi rag. ..is a science

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Aiming thru a scope (magnifyed, 5x,8x,10x or more is not a science. ..it is a technical achivement by progress (unless you are a total blind bat with a shaky hand ) = stay off the booze and weed, if so (but no guarentee
Aiming to get thru todays sélection
By reading your horoscope in the daily paparazzi rag. ..is a science

Aiming through a scope is not as simple a holding the cross hair on the target to make an accurate shot , you have to know the exact distance so a range finder is needed , then you have bullet drop , to calculate the drop you need to know bullet weight,velocity and co efficiency , then throw in cross wind , temperature , height AMSL , oh on long distances throw in Coriolis effect , when you have all that you need to understand the Mils or MOA on your scope and how to adjust them , it is a science, hence most can`t consistently shoot accurately above 500 yards or even a lot less than that.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Wrong and wrong again
Any average fud will blast a hole in any average sized fud (with the right equipment adjusted) Training is giving. No one fails their snipers course
All the stats are made for and by the manufacturés, it is their science
A rifle with a scope adjusted /réglé, for any fud, will score
Some more than others, certes

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Wrong and wrong again
Any average fud will blast a hole in any average sized fud (with the right equipment adjusted) Training is giving. No one fails their snipers course
All the stats are made for and by the manufacturés, it is their science
A rifle with a scope adjusted /réglé, for any fud, will score
Some more than others, certes
Wrong , current issue scopes will not do the science for you as every situation is different, the Schmidt & Bender PMII is issued to many snipers in western armies is an excellent piece of kit BUT it is only any good to someone who understands the science , to say everyone passes the sniper course makes me think in reality its a sharpshooter course or candidates do have a good grasp of the science before they commence, talk to any current British sniper and they will quote you everything I mentioned in post #30 .....and fully understand it and much more., saying that ,it does depend on what range and standard a "sniper" is trained to shoot to , up to 1000m is fairly easy with decent kit any further takes a very good understanding of what you are doing and being able to calculate all of the variables.
This guy will start you off with the very basics of scope adjustment but note that many military`s use mil`s not MOA ,
Understanding MOA
Coriolis
The Guru of Long Range Shooting

Last edited:

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
It's a 2 month course and then you are a qualified, Dottore tireur d ' élite

GSP

Reaction score
Home Country
Argentina
I actually wanted to introduce myself... But this is an interesting post.. The science is actually behind making the scope and weapon itself. Shooting is a pretty straightforward skillset. The right training and practice makes perfect. The issue is you will see a great amount of videos, is because they want to sell you their products, let it be their "Premium reloading Die set" to their "Long Ranger Course I, II, III , IV, V, VI, VII, VIII" You don't even need a Collimator to zero the scope to a given distance, yet they will tell you need to buy their "Brand X Collimator for ULTIMATE Scope zeroing", even if their collimator is a POS, like those shaped like a bullet...
Down the road, the important is getting the right training which is something that doesn't take a lot of time and practice. A lot of people can´t hit at 500 meters because A)They got a lousy training B)They don't practice enough C)A and B.

Last edited:

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
500m isnt very far for a "sniper " rifle , more like close to the limits of an assault rifle, , I shoot Fig11 steel plates out to 1760 yards (1 mile) and its not easy , quality kit is a small part of it , you really have to fully understand what you is going on or you waste a lot of ammo.

GSP

Reaction score
Home Country
Argentina
500m isnt very far for a "sniper " rifle , more like close to the limits of an assault rifle, , I shoot Fig11 steel plates out to 1760 yards (1 mile) and its not easy , quality kit is a small part of it , you really have to fully understand what you is going on or you waste a lot of ammo.
I put 500 meters, because you used that distance in your post and yes that´s an iron sight distance. That´s the distance we used to train with the old Mauser 1909. I also have to disagree the quality of "kit" makes a big difference, i want to see you shooting using a cheap chinese made scope..
Wasting ammo in the American continent is not really an issue(Something that i do miss).

Last edited:

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I put 500 meters, because you used that distance in your post and yes that´s an iron sight distance. That´s the distance we used to train with the old Mauser 1909. I also have to disagree the quality of "kit" makes a big difference, i want to see you shooting using a cheap chinese made scope..
Wasting ammo in the American continent is not really an issue(Something that i do miss).
You cant reliably shoot long range with a cheap chinese scope , firstly you cant see anything clearly and then they dont track ,if you find one that does it will fall apart after a couple of hundred rounds , its been proved many times , hence the big market for Nightforce/Schmidt/Kahles etc.

GSP

Reaction score
Home Country
Argentina
You cant reliably shoot long range with a cheap chinese scope , firstly you cant see anything clearly and then they dont track ,if you find one that does it will fall apart after a couple of hundred rounds , its been proved many times , hence the big market for Nightforce/Schmidt/Kahles etc.
Exactly and that´s why the quality of the "kit" is not a small part of the equation.

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Exactly and that´s why the quality of the "kit" is not a small part of the equation.
I think your slighty exaggerating surfguy's comment about the quality of equipment being a small part. I think that surguy is trying to say that you can have the lastest and greatest gear but still be a shite shot, you have to know the basics and advanced stuff when it comes to long range shooting.

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Quality kit is essential for reliable long range shooting but I`m sure youve also heard the phrase "All the gear and no idea" , all kit is useless if you dont understand how to use it.
Anyone who claims long range shots (1000m and more ) dont need a full understanding of the science have never successfully shot long range, if you disagree tell me how you`d take your long range shot starting with bullet choice and why you choose that particular bullet then how you`d prepare for the shot, lets say at 1500m .