Why did you join the Legion?

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Croatia
As many legionnaires - as many reasons....
Looking forward to any insights from the greens, however it has been pointed out on this forum:

Reasons for joining, and legionnaire's past - are questions that should be avoided, or threaded very carefully !!!

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Croatia
I'm not saying that it is forbidden, but it's complicated. Why would someone join the Legion?
Answers that come to mind :
1. New life and new begining
2. Leaving everything behind

:unsure:

However, whoever wants to share - is welcome.....

Asking it to a wannabe is one thing, asking it to a an Ancien is another.

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Ah! Sorry about that. Someone kindly delete this thread.
You should be able to work out a lot of the reasons

• Want to be a Soldier but cant join own countries Army
  • Wanting to leave all family ties behind
  • Life under threat from the mob
  • Avoid child maintenance payments
  • Adventure
  • War torn home country
  • To gain an EU passport
  • Financial problems at home
and so on.

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
South Africa
Why did you want to join? Things werent going well at your home country?
Everybody has their own reasons for wanting to serve, some find it personal others would want to share, all depends on the situation.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
India
I think it's a nice question but it shouldn't be asked to legionnaires those who are serving and those who served coz we as a new aspiring candidates don't have the right to question them but

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Don't like when people putting this question of the chart. If someone doesn't want to give their reasons for joining ... fine. Don't make question forbidden. I'm sure there is many legionaries who have no problem for answering that question.
As someone said it's usually combination of more than one reasons.

Also IMHO man have to be lit bit disappointed. Usually things in life doesn't going great for those deciding to join. Not all, but I think that desperado moment (to call it like that) is common to many.

Maybe some greens don't like what I'm saying ,but that is true. Not many kids growing up with wish to become Legionnaire.That's why I'm pissed when someone come here and say he wanted to be legionnaire whole his life. Really? My BS alarm immediately going red.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Alright let's all try and get Dusa's BS alarm down from red to amber! The equivalent of DEFCON level 3 down to DEFCON level 2?
Vishal, there's no big deal of asking why serving and served legionnaires joined. Some may tell you to get lost and others will say why.
JPatricio's question would be the same as you will hear in civvy street, "MY God ! what on earth did you join that bunch of crooks and throat cutters for? :eek: What was it likeo_O ? Did they torture you? Did you shoot any one? What did you do on a daily basis?

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
India
when I was in Russia one of my friends from France criticized legion
that's true what you said Joseph sir people will have no idea what is legion in reality they think only people who are escaping from reality join the legion.
again I apologize if anyone will not Like my way of saying
but only one of my friends from India who joined the legion and when he was in training after Aubgane selection got an injury and went back home and this guy is a serious lover of legion.
I personally want to change my way of living by forcing myself in adverse situation which I will never face in my whole life living in India.

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
South Africa
The equivalent of DEFCON level 3 down to DEFCON level 2?
Other way round Joe, 5 is least severe, 1 is sh!t hit fan/Dusa after too many bears on a Saturday. :cool:.......speaking of which is the Boss still around? I think a beer emoticon in the rating menu would be a fantastic idea?gdc-sample-8-728.jpg

Last edited:

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Croatia
Other way round Joe, 5 is least severe, 1 is sh!t hit fan/Dusa after too many bears on a Saturday. :cool:.......speaking of which is the Boss still around? I think a beer emoticon in the rating menu would be a fantastic idea?View attachment 4428
I was wondering about levels of defcon, ...seeing this chart with Chuck (the man who was born by his aunt (nobody frcks chuck's mum!) in a cabin which he had built before that, + he did all of the push ups from no1 to the last one) is like having M.Monroe powerpoints sex education in a private session. ;) :giggle:

I just love Chuck.

Last edited:

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Australia
A lot of the blokes were professional soldiers with previous service in armies of Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Britain. Everybody knew someone. No chance to b.s about your C.V. We all served together before making our way to France. The challenge, adventure and the unknown was the reason. It certainly was a very different world back in the 1980's. Motives for joining the Legion are plenty. My opinion is the more one talks about doing it, the less likely they will.

Last edited:

Ex-Pongo

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Scotland
A lot of the blokes were professional soldiers with previous service in armies of Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Britain. Everybody knew someone. No chance to b.s about your C.V. We all served together before making our way to France. The challenge, adventure and the unknown was the reason. It certainly was a very different world back in the 1980's. Motives for joining the Legion are plenty. My opinion is the more one talks about doing it, the less likely they will.
When I was in Aubagne, I ran into another ex-soldier from Canada. Turns out we knew the same Canadian lad that left his regiment to join mine.
Blows my mind how small the world is sometimes.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
When I was in Aubagne, I ran into another ex-soldier from Canada. Turns out we knew the same Canadian lad that left his regiment to join mine.
Blows my mind how small the world is sometimes.
you get guys from Australia too in the British Army, an Instructor in Sennelager Germany for NI training was an Australian in the Queens Own Highlanders.

Failatron

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Canada
In my case, i’ll sum it up in one word: Stability.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
I was footloose and fancy free having served my time as a RM commando and having declined a regular commission from SS/R. (Possibly foolishly.) My parents had been killed in WW2. Mother blitz and father an o/r in Italy.

I considered joining the Legion and also applied to the Australian Army. I was offered a commission at Bush House/London. Then I met a Colonial Police Officer from the far east. He gave me an introduction. Subsequently I was employed on contract by the British Crown Agents in the HKP and I never joined the 'Diggers'.

I lived in interesting times.

Chas. Royal Marines, HKP and Queen's 6/7(V) HSF. Capt. Mainwaring !;)

Most viewed threads of the week