a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why did you join the Legion?

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
In my case, i’ll sum it up in one word: Stability.

That makes sense , in any western Armed Forces your salary and job are almost guaranteed so long as you pull your weight , unlike in civvy street where nothing is guaranteed , redundancies happen regularly and employers go bust.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Think the lack of knowing much (just negative stuff) made it even more of a buz! Yes most of you know I was a binge drinking nutter on the run, a chapter in my life I can reflect and know I could have been better but I served in a good club and proud I used to get drunk and f*ck up! Still think it’s a rude question as when you become buddies honesty is a good foundation brick but let the person offer don’t ask! Well that’s my thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Think the lack of knowing much (just negative stuff) made it even more of a buz! Yes most of you know I was a binge drinking nutter on the run, a chapter in my life I can reflect and know I could have been better but I served in a good club and proud I used to get drunk and f*ck up! Still think it’s a rude question as when you become buddies honesty is a good foundation brick but let the person offer don’t ask! Well that’s my thoughts.
"Binge drinking nutter" ...typical Argyll..:D

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
To get out of the UK. ..an over crowded damp shi*ty island full of posing nobbers who think they are the biz. ..ar$e holes
Got to France and found that they the french are just as bad. ..hate Nîmes like a dredge and their cattle accent. ..totaly un culte SOBs. ..and it's not just a génération thing

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
To get out of the UK. ..an over crowded damp shitty island full of posing nobbers who think they are the biz. ..arse holes
Got to France and found that they the french are just as bad. ..hate Nîmes like a dredge and their cattle accent. ..totaly un culte SOBs. ..and it's not just a génération thing
Wow...you're very bitter. I do hope you find happiness though. No cute French chick?

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
The sirens song

I heard the sirens call me on
The silent call from far beyond
So those who hear can sing along
foreign legion here I come

Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
I did Army cadets when I was a kid. I knew one guy there, His family came to Australia from Côte D'ivoire. His father had been in the legion for his entire childhood. He went off to join the legion after finishing high school. He told us, He was going to join la lègion because his father did.

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Add : cant bloody tolerate authority
Cheers mon p’tite caporal, just out of curiosity, what do you think about the recent shootings at mosques in N.Z.? Did it have any logical cause to it, or was it just a bloody intolerance of authority, or something else.......Don’t bother answering if you think it could never happen in Nimes, or Glasgow for that matter.