a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Workout routine

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Like Hawkeye47 has done, I too will list what I have been doing. This should help those in the future see more or less what minimum effort should be put into the preparations of going, (should either of us make it of course).

Warmup
100 pull-ups. Broken into sets of 14-20 (arms locked fully extended, no kip with chin over the bar)
200 push-ups (chest to ground, arms fully extended and elbows locked)
200 crunches (usmc style, butt on floor, feet flat, arms crossed at elbows, arms tight against chest, shoulder blades contact the ground)
100 burpees

Then weight training.
One day is Back and bis
Another is Chest and tris
Again another is Legs
(Switching the routine up every 6 weeks. So say, chest and back, bis and tris, legs, etc.)
Followed by lots of stretching.

Later run 2-5 miles once every other night.
And cycle sprints (meaning 20-35miles) in between the nights of running.

I also surf 1:30hr to 3hrs damn near every morning before even starting my workouts.

1 day off a week from training to recover doing active cardio, some weeks no days off.

I am 5'9, 145lbs flat in clothes and shoes, can bench 185lbs 6 times with a full second pause with the bar resting on my chest.
I won't go into different body parts weights abilities just yet. You can guess my current profession by my form and technique.

I have a 10k race coming up next Saturday. Will post how I place, with run times of course.

Here's a 5 mile from last night. This was with a group whom run a bit slower than my slowness. So we kept the beginning pace down for everyone until the end and the slower ones died off. It takes me some miles to warm up and hit my tempo.

54efd0d1bbc1d2f9bad960fa1becf1af.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

O

Ossie O

Unregistered
If the Legion says no, you can always try out for the Tokyo summer Olympics in 2020. Why don't you just get a manual labourers job for 6 to 12 months, save your dollars, and fly to France! Keep it simple young man. If you can do all that now, then what are you waiting for? Get going...go knock on the big gate!

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
If the Legion says no, you can always try out for the Tokyo summer Olympics in 2020. Why don't you just get a manual labourers job for 6 to 12 months, save your dollars, and fly to France! Keep it simple young man. If you can do all that now, then what are you waiting for? Get going...go knock on the big gate!

If the legion says no, It won't be due to physical capabilities. That's my goal anyways.
I've got a few big scars. No broken bones or metal but scars none the less.

Literally, waiting for my passport to come, in 3-5 more weeks time.

Then I'll give my 2 weeks and book a flight.
Already saved enough for a plane ticket.

I'd have left already if I didn't let my passport expire.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
shadowhideyou808,

Good luck, you appear to be determined, which is better than some of the 'wafflers' on the forum.
I have a feeling you will make it. I don't know why but that is my gut feeling. Carpe Diem.

Mindex

Reaction score
Home Country
Lithuania
Wow ! That's beastly training ! Gonna work on this routine too from now on ! :)

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Like Hawkeye47 has done, I too will list what I have been doing. This should help those in the future see more or less what minimum effort should be put into the preparations of going, (should either of us make it of course).

Warmup
100 pull-ups. Broken into sets of 14-20 (arms locked fully extended, no kip with chin over the bar)
200 push-ups (chest to ground, arms fully extended and elbows locked)
200 crunches (usmc style, butt on floor, feet flat, arms crossed at elbows, arms tight against chest, shoulder blades contact the ground)
100 burpees

Then weight training.
One day is Back and bis
Another is Chest and tris
Again another is Legs
(Switching the routine up every 6 weeks. So say, chest and back, bis and tris, legs, etc.)
Followed by lots of stretching.

Later run 2-5 miles once every other night.
And cycle sprints (meaning 20-35miles) in between the nights of running.

I also surf 1:30hr to 3hrs damn near every morning before even starting my workouts.

1 day off a week from training to recover doing active cardio, some weeks no days off.

I am 5'9, 145lbs flat in clothes and shoes, can bench 185lbs 6 times with a full second pause with the bar resting on my chest.
I won't go into different body parts weights abilities just yet. You can guess my current profession by my form and technique.

I have a 10k race coming up next Saturday. Will post how I place, with run times of course.

Here's a 5 mile from last night. This was with a group whom run a bit slower than my slowness. So we kept the beginning pace down for everyone until the end and the slower ones died off. It takes me some miles to warm up and hit my tempo.

54efd0d1bbc1d2f9bad960fa1becf1af.png

That's some impressive stats mate! Keep it up!

Just remember the Legion isn't a gym, selection is hard and physical with good old manual force and shear grit in rough conditions, you should try the Luc Leger test and practice it, it's an awkward test because you're running only 3 maybe 4 km but never building a rhythm. Also if possible add some hiking in rough terrain to your workout.

Good luck mate, and I hope your post is a wake up call for some wannabes that are hoping that 5 pull ups will get them a Kepi Blanc.

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Just remember the Legion isn't a gym, selection is hard and physical with good old manual force and shear grit in rough conditions, you should try the Luc Leger test and practice it, it's an awkward test because you're running only 3 maybe 4 km but never building a rhythm. Also if possible add some hiking in rough terrain to your workout.

Noted.
I do a 5 mile hike with a pack and 42lbs in it once every few months in the sand. I should be doing it more.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
shadowhideyou808,

Good luck, you appear to be determined, which is better than some of the 'wafflers' on the forum.
I have a feeling you will make it. I don't know why but that is my gut feeling. Carpe Diem.

Thank you Chas. I've dreamt of this since I was 13. I'm currently 25, maybe 26 during selection.
Due to many reasons I never pursued this, and now it seems I'm finally chasing the dream. I am very excited to make this happen. I am well aware of military life and the hurry up and wait, as well as doing things which make no sense.
I whole heartedly accept these challenges to make it come true.

I hope I can show them I do belong there and want to be there.

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
In case anyone was wondering why my training is what it is. I compete in triathlons.
My work allows me to get my entire workout on site.

So I may have more time allotted to my training than most would.

All of this and more, is extremely possible to everyone. And if that is not believable or acceptable to an individual, they will soon learn from the legion that it's truth and your capable of much more, or that you simply are not ready to be there.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Warmup

This really sounds to optimistic. (and some other parts of your workout routine). Man. You don't train to become professional athlete than professional soldier.

If you really can do everything you wrote here, good for you. It's only plus in selection and definitely can't be bad.

But, physical fitness it's not only thing that matter when they choosing new leginar. So if guys reading this think that superhuman strength can assure you with white kepi, think again.

In case anyone was wondering why my training is what it is. I compete in triathlons.

Hmmm. This explains some of my confusions.

Man, just do not put complexes on us, normal human beings! :)

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
physical fitness it's not only thing that matter when they choosing new leginar./QUOTE]

Im a marine, mentally I'm ready and wanting to already be there.

Intelligence wise, I don't know what their equivalent of an asvab is but I'll be fine.

As for learning the language. I'm sure I'll pick it up.

If they give me the chance, I'll take it. The way I see it, the moment I knock on the door, my chance is handed to me. I plan to utilize the opportunity to better myself and they hopefully will see that.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
OK man. That's everything good, but you making me and other wannabes little bit jealous. Yes you are perfect candidate and you have 90% (and more ) chances for geting in.

Is this what you want you to hear?

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Is this what you want you to hear?

Haha. Thanks mate.
I'm not looking for any specific reaction, or any reaction for that matter.
Simply sharing what I have been doing in preparation for the career I am going to pursue.

On the subject; When are you going Dusa ? (Not meant to be offensive in anyway, shape or form.)

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
A mans psychical peak are in his 20's. Every year after 30 we start slowing down. Tragically after 40, every year is a death sentence. You are now in your mid 20's with previous military experience, which will be a bonus if you can conform to the Legion system (it was hard for me in every sense). Dreams are one thing, reality for you maybe a very cold awakening...good luck!

Ossie speak for yourself about 'Peak' ! lol You are correct however about dreams and reality. Now you are an 'old codger' you can have great memories.

I am fortunate without any replacement body parts...........so far !

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
If you are a Marine, why not stay in the Marines? So many opportunities, bigger budget and chances for MARSOC etc.

On MARSOC, as much as I think it would be great to be MARSOC, I'd like to dip my feet in buds for Recon first. Truth be told. When I was in, I didn't even consider it. At that point in time, I also do not believe I would have made it. My mindset was far different and I just wanted to party and shake with some women. I'm a completely different individual now with a stronger outlook on my own life. In short, mentally I am stronger now than I was back then.

I wanted to be a legionnaire before I ever even considered the US military. Initially I wanted to go Army Airborne, but a family member whom was in the Marines convinced me to do otherwise.

If I fail to make the Legion, I can always go talk to a recruiter. My problem is that when I was looking to sign a new contract, as an incentive they were going to send me to jump school and give me a 5k bonus.
I took some leave and never signed the new contract because I had it too easy living off of deployment money.

I have my own reasons for wanting to go to the Legion, and ultimately to France. A big part is to earn the title and also live the military lifestyle, but also to learn the language, and eventually get involved in the culture. The Legion would send me to places the Marine Corps would not.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
shadowhideyou808,

Go and become a 'hard charger'. Your family member was correct !

Per Mare per Terram/Semper Fidelis.

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Question, which office would it behoove of me to arrive at ?

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Wow ! That's beastly training ! Gonna work on this routine too from now on ! :)

Easy peasy even for someone of my advanced years ? Now do it, it is all in the mind. No pain no gain.

Chas former member of the lean, mean, green fighting machine.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Question, which office would it behoove of me to arrive at ?

Hi, I'm not sure what your question means. That looks like a great work out routine which will benefit you more once in your regiment than in Aubagne or basic training. I know you said that you are expecting the hurry and wait and all the nonsense orders etc. But are you? Have you tried not training for 5 days or even a week? You can do situps and pull ups and dips and stuff like that whilst waiting for roll call in Aubagne, but that's about it. You'll have half a day in Aubagne to "show off" how fit you are and then nothing for a couple of weeks.

You'll get more chance in Castel as there will be a lot more physical training and nonsense orders. Once in your regiment you can go in for Civvy triathlons and I even know a Cch from the REP who I was also with in 13 DBLE and 5 RE who was ranked 13th in the Ironman ratings. He was given permission to to go to Hawaii to participate and came 7th.