a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would I be able to join?

Reaction score
Home Country
Slovenia
Hi Im 18 yrs old and Im from Slovenia. Im planning to join in october. The issue is that 3 yrs ago when I was 15 I robbed someone. I did not use any weapon and I did not physicaly harm the victim. When I went to court I got a reprimand (similar to warning) which is the lowest charge you can get as a minor. So my question is do I have a better chance getting in by telling them or just saying I don't have any criminal record?

Reaction score
Home Country
Slovenia
Yes, but I think it still shows in my criminal record even though its a warning(reprimand). But Im not 100% sure.

rashisan

Reaction score
Home Country
Bulgaria
Hello and welcome Stol,
what happened on 15 just left it where it is. It is better not to make any mistakes after 18 ;)
So if you are fit enough to cover the FFL physical, medical and IQ tests just go on. As i am saying always better to try instead to think what if...

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hello Stol and welcome to the forum.
whatever you decide to do: tell them or not tell them, You MUST stick with that. There is no coming 'clean' later on.

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
The French will not have access to Slovenian Police records so they will only know if you tell them.

Check if your record can be wiped clean after 5 years , this is the case in some countries, you could then say I have no record without going bright red , twitching and breaking in a nervous sweat :)

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
You should go, and as soon as possible. Make yourself fit, learn some French, and head over. I think you'll be fine, I have heard of guys with worse offenses who made it in (they supplemented the bad with high physical skill and motivation)

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Well I can't really convince them if they found out.
Stol, seriously. I mean seriously! Do you think that the Legion is going to go to all the trouble to ask Slovenia to give up your 'criminal records'. Wise up, mate. The Legion would have to go through French diplomatic protocol to go through Slovenia's protocol o_O o_O to ask about Stol's reprimand :ROFLMAO:.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Stol, seriously. I mean seriously! Do you think that the Legion is going to go to all the trouble to ask Slovenia to give up your 'criminal records'. Wise up, mate. The Legion would have to go through French diplomatic protocol to go through Slovenia's protocol o_O o_O to ask about Stol's reprimand :ROFLMAO:
Listen to Joe he knows the score. 👍

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Even if there’s little risk the “gestapo” will check your legal records with the Slovenian authorities, there’s something you need to keep in mind. At one point during the security interview, you’ll be asked a simple question: “have you had any problem with the justice?” Do you think you can look the interviewer straight in the eyes and say “No”? In other words are you a ’good liar’? If not, don’t take a chance.
Your felony, misdemeanour or whatever the legal term is in Slovenia is nothing. Is lying worth the risk of being uncovered or simply suspected of hiding something? Up to you to make up your mind.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Pick a story, short, sweet, memorize it. If there are perhaps, "modifications", or "refinements", make sure you remember them and tell yourself it until you forget that it is "refined".