• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloakey

Home Country
Ireland
Echo wrote:

"Who are the ones who served less than 5 years? Did you desert?"

I thought about that, I got pensioned out after taking a round and shrapnel in Beirut, that did not stop me from serving elsewhere though.

I have a sneking suspicion that EagleEye might know me, as one of the lunatics in the 6eme at Corté. There were only a few English and a Yank (hmm where are you Pendragon?) there.

Tibrys

Im going for a try in the Foreign Legion in August... im traning for it.
Im marsching for the moment 3k with a pack of 35 kg. and adding weight and range of the marsh every month..

Can anyone here, please give me a good traningprogram to follow?

Home Country
United Kingdom
Follow this mate.

Run, pressups, run, chins, run, dips, run, situps, run, swim, run.;)

There will be loads of (proper) training advice on this site mate. Use the search facility. Whatever you do build it up slowly. Dont f*ck yourself up by getting injured. Make sure you are comfortable running and good at bodyweight exercises i.e pressups, chins, dips and sit ups etc.

Good luck mate.

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Ratings
213 3
Home Country
Norway
I served 5 years in the Legion paras in Algeria, 2eme REP no less. When my contract was up it was 1962 and de Gaulle (bless his miserable soul) was pulling the troups out. The rumour was the Legion would be disbanded. The legion was having a last party in Algeria, carting everything away, including the juke box (kid ye not), and I was quitting, one of the last to spread out my kit bag on the 'Quartier Viénot' parade ground in Sidi Bel Abbes before handing everything back to the Legion. The Pied Noirs and the fellaghas were having a big firefight just down the road, but we were not paying any atention to it. We had been told to step down.

I thought the Legion was finished then, because I had no intention whatsoever in serving in the Legion in peacetime. No Sirree. To my utter surprise was that it survived, and I was tempted very much to return. It was tough in the Legion, but civi street was not much fun either. I wanted my youth back, chasing rebels in the jebels and partying with my mates. But I had the good sense of realizing that the party was over. It will never be Algeria or Dien Bien Phu again. Forget it kid, there are better things to do with your life. The Legion is just a myth now, it doesn't exist anymore. If you want to clean toilets, check out British Rail, they might have an opening for you.

Eagle eye

Legionnaire
Ratings
Home Country
Macao
Commando84,
don't dream too much: do your level-headed best, prepare for the worse case scenario (rejection at Aubagne; disappointment in regiment) and be pleasantly surprised if you manage to clear the initial language/cultural/culimnary hurdles....

...I just had a brain wave, those 20 who have no plans of joining MUST BE WOMEN.....:D

Last edited:

Eagle eye

Legionnaire
Ratings
Home Country
Macao
Voivod said:
Follow this mate.

Run, pressups, run, chins, run, dips, run, situps, run, swim, run.;)

There will be loads of (proper) training advice on this site mate. Use the search facility. Whatever you do build it up slowly. Dont f*ck yourself up by getting injured. Make sure you are comfortable running and good at bodyweight exercises i.e pressups, chins, dips and sit ups etc.

Good luck mate.
...Learn some French in between chins ups, sit ups, squat thrusts and the rest of it: un, deux, trois and so forth and so on etc....ad nauseum....:eek:

Home Country
Umm al-Qaiwan
nofear tried, got inapte definitif, then bargained inapte 3 mois and now, after 5 months seriously considering of going back.

joette ✞

In Memoriam....Retired and missed Mod ...
Former Moderator
RIP ✞
Home Country
United States
Eagle eye said:
Commando84,
don't dream too much: do your level-headed best, prepare for the worse case scenario (rejection at Aubagne; disappointment in regiment) and be pleasantly surprised if you manage to clear the initial language/cultural/culimnary hurdles....

...I just had a brain wave, those 20 who have no plans of joining MUST BE WOMEN.....:D
HA EE..there are only 2 women here...........the others are girls.

A

andy1

Unregistered
was in 4 eme regiment at castle in 82 mle 106606 ,anyone who served remember a s/chef named ghebartel he was part of 2cie as for myself i didnt do full five yrs {used blood spilt clause of contract}

Andy

Home Country
United Kingdom
does anyone know of guys who served and came back all messed up in the head ,or did it change you alot ...for the better or worse?

F

Fragment

Unregistered
petermul4 said:
does anyone know of guys who served and came back all messed up in the head ,or did it change you alot ...for the better or worse?
There are allot of articles around on the net about ex legionnaires. There is one of a Swedish guy that came back from the Legion and ended up in therapy for years. There is also one about a dude that spend ten or fifteen years in the Legion, and after he left he slept with his fists closed and still thought it was a battle. It obviously depends on who you are, and what you have done in the Legion. The Anciens here does not seem to be mental freaks. That's my 2 cents.

steve

Super Active Member
Home Country
United Kingdom
I Think You Get People With Problems In All Walks Of Life.i Dont See The Legion Being Any Different.

yatez 44

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Home Country
United States
You may want to add a couple more lines to your survey//// accepted and left within six months////accepted and deserted before end of contract

Home Country
United States
Served in the 1960-70s Special Forces with a few "DP's" (displaced persons) who had been in the Legion in Indochina (Orest Jaworski, Ed Kurantowisc, Jan Novy, "Dutch Schulz", Sava Steppanovitch, a Masarek, and a few Ivanovs), before I went to Vietnam, where I ended up serving with some Vietnamese NCOs who had been in the Legion. Later met several Legion officers through exchange programs and liaison duties, and visited the 1st RE at Pau. Briefly considered the Legion after being "riffed" out of the U.S. Army as a Captain in 1972, but opted for university and the Guardia Nacional de Puerto Rico instead. Returned to the U.S. Army in 1978 and retired in 1989 in Panama, after which I delved into Legion history and wrote several articles on its role and composition in Indochina, in collaboration with Dr. Mireille Nicoud, then at the Univ of Montpellier, published in Vietnam magazine. Visited the original Camerone (Cameron de Tejada) near Cordoba in Mexico in 1997. Still maintain an interest in the Legion as I often travel over its old stomping grounds on trips back to Vietnam. Currently living and working in Korea with a Pendragon who previously served in 2me REI. Perhaps the same one Bloakey is looking for? I'll pass him the post. I did have the good fortune to do the parachute course at Pau with the 6me RPIMa, and am as much a "marsouin-o-phile" as I am a "legio-phile". Were I to be re-born again and allowed a military career, the Legion would certainly be high on my list. But so too would the 11me Choc, 3me RPIMa, 8me RPIMa, 13me RDP. Were I to be warped back in time, WWII and Indochina would be the period, with any of the Legion units, but with a preference for the paras, or as a legionnaire seconded to the Commandos or CSLMs.

H

hannibal

Unregistered
(Orest Jaworski, Ed Kurantowisc, Jan Novy, "Dutch Schulz", Sava Steppanovitch, a Masarek, and a few Ivanovs)
Sorry for asking this but didn't Sava remain in the French Army and retired as Colonel?

a few Ivanovs
You served with Caporal Sascha Ivanovs perhaps? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most viewed threads of the week