Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 27 of 27
  1. #16
    Hyper Active Member Major Forum Poster dusaboss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Serbia
    Posts
    1,364
    Country
    Yugoslavia

    Re: This has Potential

    Quote Originally Posted by Crotalus Atrox View Post
    Yes, you are right Dusa. Greek is by itself. Latin is based on Greek. Balto-Slavic is closely related to Russian but not the same. Germanic languages are kind of off on their own too; as are the Romance languages. All are based on Indo-European. Only 46% of the world speaks an Indo-European based language...

    I was mislead by the Orthodox Church! Hahaha... An Odox priest told me that Greek was the base of all those other languages. I thought I could take that as the full truth. Hahaha.... So there, full disclosure... Those damn Greeks, always trying to make more of their great heritage. Apologies... Ill just ask Dusa next time... Hehehe...
    No man, you are wrong again. Latin is not based on Greek, only alphabet is. I mean I'm not trying to play smart-ass but I have to correct you, it's stronger than me.

    All that shit about origins of languages it's pretty perplexedly. As I said, if you go back in history long enough you will find really small group of people (couple thousand I think) from which we are all have descended. That's what DNA tells us. Probably they all spoke one primitive language from which all other are emerged.

    Next time don't have to ask me, just please don't ask the priest or simply just ask the google.

    As for answer which that priest gave you there is some truth in it, but not about languages. Old Greeks are foundation of whole western culture which through the Roman Empire spread all over and on which principles we live today.

    So when you watch that stupid movie about 300 Spartans, have in mind that in some way those guys died to save what we are today!

  2. #17
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Between places
    Posts
    118
    Country
    Brazil

    Re: This has Potential

    Quote Originally Posted by Cernunnos View Post
    I'm quite stupid when it comes to language but I thought Brazilian was its own language that shot off from Portuguese?
    Sort of like Mexican and Spanish.

    Were Tupi, Guarani and Bororo like the Western Europe languages where they have similarities or were they completely different to each other?
    No, the portuguese language is one because from time to time we have a "ortographic agreement" where all countries who speak portuguese agree to make little changes to make written portuguese equal in every country. So a book published in Portuguese is the same in any country, but you have some different ascents in each country on even in different regions from Brazil. The last agreement was in 2009.

    The natives languages were all different, but I am not a expert in this. Had a few classes of antropology in college but there was much more languages who died over the colonial times.

  3. #18
    Active Member Crotalus Atrox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    often found in N A
    Posts
    103
    Country
    United States

    Re: This has Potential

    I know that the French also have bi-yearly meetings (?) on how to keep 'real' French pure. Quebec often looks to France when it comes down to how to speak properly. The news and such, official things, are all done in proper Parisian French. Behind their backs though the French are often made fun of for being stuck up and a little too proper.

    But what I really want to know is... HL+BF... How is the baby? How is the move? How are your studies? (You are not going to quit!) If in France, how is learning French coming? I read somewhere that school was something like €300-900 per semester... Inquiring minds want to know...

  4. #19
    Active Member Crotalus Atrox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    often found in N A
    Posts
    103
    Country
    United States

    Re: This has Potential

    The French culture ministry in Paris have a general commission for terminology, all guided by the Académie Français. They ban foreign words from being used by regular citizens; mostly English words... Language police, if you will.
    The French Academy has been around since 1635, during the reign of King Louis XIII (8th) and is the authority over the French language. In 1994 the French government passed legislation mandating (laws that tell people how to live) that official publications, contracts and advertisements be in French. So media must also obey these laws....
    The Germans, the Greeks, even the Chinese are trying to do the same. Welcome to the side effects of globalization.
    There are 10 members of the French Academy. Notables such as Henri Toryat, Marguerite Yourcenar, Julien Green, Eugene Ionesco, Claude Levi Strauss and Leopold Senghor. Some of the best known authors of French history where also members; La Fontain, Voltaire, Pierre Corneille, Jean Racine, Victor Hugo, Edmond Ronstand and Paul Valery.

  5. #20
    Hyper Active Member Major Forum Poster dusaboss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Serbia
    Posts
    1,364
    Country
    Yugoslavia

    Re: This has Potential

    Is it true that French (rolling) "R" have roots to some king (probably one of Louis ) which had difficulties with speaking that letter, so he forced everyone in his palace to speak same sounding "R" as he.

    After a while anyone in France who wanted to sound noble started to use same rolling "R". So we have that today.

    Interestingly there is no much of that kind of "R" in legion.

  6. #21
    BBS Moderator Major Forum Poster Joseph Cosgrove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    2,336
    Country
    New Zealand

    Re: This has Potential

    Quote Originally Posted by Crotalus Atrox View Post
    The French culture ministry in Paris have a general commission for terminology, all guided by the Académie Français. They ban foreign words from being used by regular citizens; mostly English words... Language police, if you will.
    The French Academy has been around since 1635, during the reign of King Louis XIII (8th) and is the authority over the French language. In 1994 the French government passed legislation mandating (laws that tell people how to live) that official publications, contracts and advertisements be in French. So media must also obey these laws....
    The Germans, the Greeks, even the Chinese are trying to do the same. Welcome to the side effects of globalization.
    There are 10 members of the French Academy. Notables such as Henri Toryat, Marguerite Yourcenar, Julien Green, Eugene Ionesco, Claude Levi Strauss and Leopold Senghor. Some of the best known authors of French history where also members; La Fontain, Voltaire, Pierre Corneille, Jean Racine, Victor Hugo, Edmond Ronstand and Paul Valery.
    In 1994 Jacques Toubon French minister of culture brought out a law banning any English substitutes to the French language. This meant 'Nous allons regarder un match de foot ce weekend et manger un hotdog' would have to be said 'nous allons regarder un tournoi de ballon au pied à la fin de semaine et manager un chien chaud.'

    This was known as la loi (law) Toubon. Needless to say the journalists took notice of this law for no longer than a 'fin de semaine.'

    The younger generation like to be cool and throw in a few English words in their conversations.
    This basically sums me and my career up:
    Hidden Content

  7. #22
    Hyper Active Member Major Forum Poster dusaboss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Serbia
    Posts
    1,364
    Country
    Yugoslavia

    Re: This has Potential

    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Cosgrove View Post

    The younger generation like to be cool and throw in a few English words in their conversations.

    There is some terms which are better described with English so using it make sense. If one trowing in English words just to be cool... that's not so cool.

    Many languages will eventually adopt some English words as they did through the history with other dominant cultures.

  8. #23
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Between places
    Posts
    118
    Country
    Brazil

    Re: This has Potential

    Quote Originally Posted by Crotalus Atrox View Post
    I know that the French also have bi-yearly meetings (?) on how to keep 'real' French pure. Quebec often looks to France when it comes down to how to speak properly. The news and such, official things, are all done in proper Parisian French. Behind their backs though the French are often made fun of for being stuck up and a little too proper.

    But what I really want to know is... HL+BF... How is the baby? How is the move? How are your studies? (You are not going to quit!) If in France, how is learning French coming? I read somewhere that school was something like €300-900 per semester... Inquiring minds want to know...
    I am good, the baby is kicking already. I am going to stop my studies for a while to take care of her, I believe its more important now. I will only study french in france, by my own I guess. I studied for 6 months with weekly classes, so basics words is okay.

    "inquiring minds" ? why they just ask for themselves?

  9. #24
    Active Member Cernunnos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    .
    Posts
    226
    Country
    England

    Re: This has Potential

    Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    I am good, the baby is kicking already.
    Oh sh*t, you're pregnant?
    Cool!
    Have you decided on a name yet?
    Last edited by Cernunnos; 24th October 2017 at 14:56. Reason: Should probably pay more attention.
    Adieu tout le monde.

  10. #25
    Hyper Active Member Major Forum Poster dusaboss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Serbia
    Posts
    1,364
    Country
    Yugoslavia

    Re: This has Potential

    Quote Originally Posted by Cernunnos View Post
    Oh sh*t, you're pregnant?
    Hahah .You sound like you're asking a girl which came on your doorstep and which you've met only once six months ago and slept with her.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cernunnos View Post
    Cool, is it a boy or a girl?
    Read more carefully


    Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    I am going to stop my studies for a while to take care of her

  11. #26
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Between places
    Posts
    118
    Country
    Brazil

    Re: This has Potential

    Quote Originally Posted by Cernunnos View Post
    Oh sh*t, you're pregnant?
    Cool!
    Have you decided on a name yet?
    yes, I already said in other post but dont remember. No, we didnt decide a name yet, but it will be a french one for sure.


    Quote Originally Posted by dusaboss View Post
    Hahah .You sound like you're asking a girl which came on your doorstep and which you've met only once six months ago and slept with her.


    Read more carefully
    I kinda of laugh but he definitily should train a better reaction when his time come.

  12. #27
    Active Member Crotalus Atrox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    often found in N A
    Posts
    103
    Country
    United States

    Re: This has Potential

    Cosgrove, on the subject of 'Dunkirk', I submit this for your approval sir.

    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i7Zebpu2nS4

    When you have about 72 minutes of free time...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Potential recruit
    By Jonny777 in forum Welcome! Introduce yourself...
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 25th October 2014, 11:57
  2. Hello from another potential future legionnaire.
    By Kitzingen in forum Welcome! Introduce yourself...
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 28th May 2009, 23:40
  3. Potential job offer
    By serge in forum Others Topics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 25th April 2006, 18:28
  4. Well, another potential recruit here....
    By Tommy in forum The French Foreign Legion Today
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 20th December 2004, 10:06

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  




Creative Commons License
a French Foreign Legion Website by cervens.net is licensed under
a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at cervens.net.

cervens.net Webutation

Positive SSL on a transparent background