a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

27 year old from Sweden

st1

Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
Hello! Im going to try next year,

I have a question about the new identity that the Legion provides for you if they want you. I have read that as soon as you sign the contract they will give you a new identity, and you will serve under this identity for at least 3 years? Then you can apply for a French citizenship and get a passport with your real name. But what about if you want to keep your new name that the Legion has given you? Will you be able to get a French citizenchip after 5 years or what happens?

Best regards

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Hi and welcome, you are given a new Legion name regardless if you want it or not. After a certain period, can't remember how long exactly (got 3 years bouncing around, but stand to be corrected), you can go through a process called rectification, getting your real name back. You cannot start applying for French citizenship until you are ‘rectified’, plain and simple. It's unlikely but potentially possible to get French citizenship within your first contract. Unless you are wounded in combat which will fall under the provision of "Français par le sang versé", French by spilled blood. There are multiple threads on this topic, search function is your best friend.

st1

Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
Thank you for your answer! I have debts here in Sweden and I want to start a new life with a new career, but I think the banks will hunt me down if I get what you called rectified process, because then they going to find me after my first, second or even the third contract if you understand what I mean. But if I have a new identity with another name I can start over again... But I still need some kind of passport linked to my name, and the only way getting a passport in France is to become a citizen..

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
In most western countries there is a limitation of time that debtors can be sued for repayment. That goes even for some crimes that fall under the "statue of limitations"

st1

Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
In most western countries there is a limitation of time that debtors can be sued for repayment. That goes even for some crimes that fall under the "statue of limitations"
Yes that is true! But for example, can I go travel with my new name during the time I serve in the Legion? The bank account the Legion provides is it on my new name? Can you rent a apartment on your new name etc.? Thank you for your answer!

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Hi st 1 and welcome
Apparently, you are given a new identity when you join (nom d'emprunt) and this for every one (this so since 2014 but wasn't always the case previously)
As from 3 years service, you can request your real identity back, it is called rectification.
Depending on what you replied during your security screening, in Aubagne you may receive a favorable decision... or maybe not. This has nothing to do with your regiment but only 1. R.E. Aubagne, the B.S.L.E., as we called it in my time.
Here, we are lacking in up to date info, but we try our best. You can not leave the Legion with your borrowed identity, that would be fraud.
As for nationalalty, 5 years or more and with favorable recommendations from the Legion (not guaranteed).
Without the Legion’s recommendation, you can do what the foreign immigrants do, who have spent 5 years or more on French terrority, in a continous manner. Taking in account your social situation. ..work, tax, lodgment, marital status, family situation, more kids the better and of course, criminal record
The Préfet can oppose and the Parquet can oppose, but it is possible to appeal.
Will update you later once I learn more, you have time.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Yes that is true! But For example, can I go travel with my new name during the time i serve in the legion? The bank account the the legion provides is it on my new name? Can you rent a apartment on your new name ETC? Thank you for your answer!

You travel to overeas missions on your légion name, yes
A temporary pass port under that name is established at the Préfecture by the regiment (you will not see the colour of )
The bank account you hold while holding your loanded name is for salaire purposes and no way you will be able to obtain a loan while not rectified.
Same shize for renting an appartement or buying a car, that would be fraud
Once rectified, you can ask. ..to rent an appartement or buy a car (good luck...it is your superiors who decide)

st1

Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
You travel to overeas missions on your légion name, yes
A temporary pass port under that name is established at the Préfecture by the regiment (you will not see the colour of )
The bank account you hold while holding your loanded name is for salaire purposes and no way you will be able to obtain a loan while not rectified.
Same shize for renting an appartement or buying a car, that would be fraud
Once rectified, you can ask. ..to rent an appartement or buy a car (good luck...it is your superiors who decide)

Thank you for all information and fast answer! All what you saying is what i thught, im still gonna try out becuse im sick to my 7-16 work and i want Another carrer. Just needed to know have to protect my salery, so the fucking banks dont take my Money :) But if i understand you right, you can go on holiday on the temporary passport during your time in the legion? And if i decid to stay for exemple 10 years, i can serve under my new identity, but still rent a apartment or by a car with permission from my superiors ?

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
The French Legion passport you will not touch or see. ..your unit holds them
If you are not rectified (back to your real name) You can not rent appartement or buy hire a car. You must be known as who you are, on your birth certificat (rectified)
In 10 years time ? Why bother thinking so far ahead.
First 5 years are the hardest. Even if you get rectified after 3 years. Your rank and the pay that goes with it, will not permit you to rent an appartement and the bills that go with it. ...unless you ask the bank for a loan (!)

The bank debt you have back home can not be collected/réclaimed here in France

st1

Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
The French Legion passport you will not touch or see. ..your unit holds them
If you are not rectified (back to your real name) You can not rent appartement or buy hire a car. You must be known as who you are, on your birth certificat (rectified)
In 10 years time ? Why bother thinking so far ahead.
First 5 years are the hardest. Even if you get rectified after 3 years. Your rank and the pay that goes with it, will not permit you to rent an appartement and the bills that go with it. ...unless you ask the bank for a loan (!)

The bank debt you have back home can not be collected/réclaimed here in France

OK i understand! :) So the bank debt here in sweden can not be collected EVEN if im rectified or just during my time with my new name? thank you for information!

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Exact and during your time in the Legion, if you serve the full five. ..your debt will more than likely be classed
Drastic solutions for so much trivial as a bit of debt
Post schitum : meant to say : a swedish bank can not collect petty debt in France
1. They do not know you are here
2. Even if they do, they do not know your new name and can not do nothing to you
3. By the time you get rectified..your debt will be written off by the bank. .. (the Banks have insurance for that kind of situation )
4. Debt. ..revolving credit ? Spent on women, whisky, beer and ganja and high intrest rates. ..living in the fast lane, huh?
5. Fuque your debt and join up

Last edited:

st1

Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
Exact and during your time in the Legion, if you serve the full five. ..your debt will more than likely be classed
Drastic solutions for so much trivial as a bit of debt

Ok, then this is a real lifetime oppertunity! Then im going to be able to take any job in in france after my 5 years contract( if I become a france Citizen) if i dont want to stay, and not wondering if the debt can come after me ! thank you for all information :)

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Yes that is true! But For example, can I go travel with my new name during the time i serve in the legion? The bank account the the legion provides is it on my new name? Can you rent a apartment on your new name ETC? Thank you for your answer!

You can travel through EU with your Legion name (new) without passport (hopefully)

You can't rent apartment because you are required to live in barracks during your first 5 years. Also you can't do much legally related things with new legion name because is not really official until you get French citizenship and take it for your lawful name.

As for running from banksters ... don't know, I heard that story many times (FFL as solution), but I didn't hear how someone get away with that. If they did they probably keep low profile. So...

st1

Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
You can travel through EU with your Legion name (new) without passport (hopefully)

You can't rent apartment because you are required to live in barracks during your first 5 years. Also you can't do much legally related things with new legion name because is not really official until you get French citizenship and take it for your lawful name.

As for running from banksters ... don't know, I heard that story many times (FFL as solution), but I didn't hear how someone get away with that. If they did they probably keep low profile. So...

Thank you for your answer! Yes i have understand that i cant do many things, but the most importent thing for me is that "someday" i can start over with a "normal" life if i want to. I want to have that possibility, even if i have to keep low profile ;) But if i understand you right, you can keep your new name, but you can only use it for example taking new loans, buy a car, after you have becoming french citizen? even if you left the legion after 5 years and become a citizen you can have your new name on the french passport??

mammikoura

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Finland
I'll try to make this as clear as possible:
1. The Legion will give you a new identity. You can keep this identity for your whole career if you wish but once you leave the Legion, whether you served for 5 or 25 years, you will have to go back to your real identity.
2. With the Legion identity your choices are pretty limited. No, you can't travel anywhere on vacation (officially). No, you can't buy a car or rent an apartment (officially). Of course, there are ways around these.
3. While serving under the Legion identity, your bank account will be under that name and the debtors will never be able to touch it. Once you go back to your old identity, then it depends on the legislation at the time. Currently, as far as I know, these things don't work well in the EU so you would be pretty safe however in 5 or 10 years things could be very different.
4. Debts expire, however it can be an awfully long time. Check the Swedish law, and check it well because it's not simple. I think the current final cut-off in Finland is 15 years... That is a damn long time.

If I were you, I'd think about possibilities to pay back the debt, whether you do that while in Sweden or in the Legion. There are a lot of options, the very least you should do is to see a debt advisor (you'll get one for free) and see what options you have. I get the feeling that your main goal is to get rid of the debt, not to be a part of the Legion. If that is the case, then moving outside of the EU would seem like a much more effective way.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Re points 2 and 3:

2. Buying a car isn't that difficult, but getting the "carte grise" (the official car papers needed for the registration plates) in a name that does not exist outside the Legion is not possible. Same problem for getting an insurance. You will however have a French military driving license. So getting someone else to buy the car and insure it in his/her name is the best bet.
Living out on town. Renting an apartment in a garrison town is not that difficult. I had an apartment on town in Calvi as a corporal and rented it from the chef de la PM, military police. As long as you pay the rent and there is no big bananes, no one cares. Even renting from civvies under your Legion name is no big deal. In a civilian courtroom the landlord would not have a leg to stand on. One call to the regimental SM "Gestapo" and you will not have either of your legs to stand on.

3. Be very careful who you give your new identity to. If you contact the bank and tell them your new name, forget it. Bankers were so named because at the time the 'W' had not not been invented.

You are going to have to convince the interviewers in Aubagne that you want to join for something more than just getting away from the debt collectors. As well you may look into the fact that your bank may 'sell' your debt to debt collectors who may not fall under the statute of limitations. In other words, they will always be waiting.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
(...) 1. The Legion will give you a new identity. You can keep this identity for your whole career if you wish but once you leave the Legion, whether you served for 5 or 25 years, you will have to go back to your real identity. (...)
Isn't there possibility to legally keep your Legion name after 5 years (or more), if you get French citizenship and if you are been good boy all the time in Legion?

st1

Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
Once again thank you for all the good information. It's not only because of my debts that I want to join the Legion. I will update tonight more about who I am and why I want to give it a try. :)

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
When you apply for French citizenship, ex-Legion or immigrant (is a former legionnaire an immigrant or not? That is the question.. Man, I should've of been a sociologist, philosopher or a troll as a profession and make my fame and fortune all over the globe).
You can ask to change your name too, for easier integration, which is understandble! Example : Sidi Abou Andy d'Aberfeldy, becomes Saint-André de Bab-el-Oued
I have never heard of a legionnaire keeping his nom d'emprunt / loaned name
Anyone in the U.K. can change their name by deed poll, France too.

Last edited: