a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hazing resulting in murder.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
maybe... but i think they have it under control. would not scare me from joining. i mean they are in line now with the French army so i doubt it happens. might get a slap if you screw up but that happened in the British army too. no doubt in any army.
I'm expecting everything. Similar sh*t happens in every army and in FFL everything is probably more intense. Also I don't think that just Russians and Poles or ones doing sh*t

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I'm expecting everything. Similar sh*t happens in every army and in FFL everything is probably more intense. Also I don't think that just Russians and Poles or ones doing sh*t
haha... no one is picking on the Ruskies or Poles. :)

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
In my day a kick up the backside or a clip round the ear was often meted out for poor performance Likewise the offer to take my punishment from the CSM or even RSM was preferable to being placed on Coy orders and having the offence recorded in your pay book. This might affect future promotion. I accepted this proposal twice. Of course now that is simply a thing of the past.

Some junior NCOs' considered hazing to be a rite of passage and tried to show how hard they were by instigating such nonsense on new comers to the unit. The battle hardened NCOs jumped on them very quickly and it was soon stopped. Also retribution was taken out on the offenders at a later date by the new lads once they had settled in.

Fortunately I experienced very little bullying. There was no time for it since we were all trying to pass some form of training or other, NCOs' included.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
In my day a kick up the backside or a clip round the ear was often meted out for poor performance Likewise the offer to take my punishment from the CSM or even RSM was preferable to being placed on Coy orders and having the offence recorded in your pay book. This might affect future promotion. I accepted this proposal twice. Of course now that is simply a thing of the past.

Some junior NCOs' considered hazing to be a rite of passage and tried to show how hard they were by instigating such nonsense on new comers to the unit. The battle hardened NCOs jumped on them very quickly and it was soon stopped. Also retribution was taken out on the offenders at a later date by the new lads once they had settled in.

Fortunately I experienced very little bullying. There was no time for it since we were all trying to pass some form of training or other, NCOs' included.
was still the same at my time. I had a fight in my first week then i was OK. not saying i am rocky or anything but people knew you would not take any sh³t. way it was.

Sohito

Reaction score
Home Country
Poland
In Norfolk Virginia, USN Seal Adam Matthews, has pleaded guilty to hazing and assault charges resulting in the death of US Green Beret, Staff Sgt. Logan Meggar, from Texas. The incident took place in Africa.

Murder charges were dropped against Matthews since he was prepared to testify against another USN Seal and two US Marines.

Hazing can be exceedingly unpleasant. Our Paras and Marines were renowned for it. Now it is fortunately banned and woe betide anyone caught undertaking this stupid practice.

Really f*cked up situation. Read that yesterday probably. Here's rest of article from CBS news, to give the wider perspective:

In the first detailed public account of Melgar's death in Mali, Matthews said he had agreed to help the other three defendants haze Melgar over perceived slights against his fellow troops.

Among those slights, Matthews said, was an incident in which Melgar, while riding a motorcycle to a party at a diplomatic embassy in the capital city of Bamako, drove off from the two Marines following in another vehicle. Matthews suggested that the Marines felt Melgar had abandoned them in an urban setting that has been the target of terrorist activity.

Matthews described the incident as "just one of a number of performance and behavioral issues" with Melgar, who was perceived by fellow troops as not being a team player. He said the plans became "more juvenile" as he and the other three service members hung out at a restaurant discussing how to handle Melgar.

Matthews said that while Melgar was in his bedroom, he and the others broke down the door with a sledgehammer for "dramatic effect," then bound his wrists and ankles with duct tape. They planned to record the incident on video to embarrass Melgar in what Matthews described as a "known remediation," or hazing ritual within the special forces community.

At some point, Matthews said, the other Navy SEAL applied a chokehold to Melgar, who became unresponsive and was unable to be resuscitated.

Last edited by a moderator:

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Hi, I have lost the treath to Kolvesi, where do I find it again?

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Hazing happened to myself, as well as many others. None of us were in the elite regiments.
I really don't agree with it, if you want my opinion.
In the US, special Operations and SF go by the "big boy rules", essentially a lot more freedom. They can get away with things conventional troops can't (cool guy haircuts, beards, no stupid work details).

And most importantly, they are held to a higher standard. The guys who were involved were pinned/tabbed, SEALs had their tridents and the GB had his SF tab. There isn't any reason to haze because they have already proved themselves.

The guys involved should have their tridents taken and get a court marshal. End of story.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
The guys involved should be locked up for the rest of their lives
Dont worry about the S.F. thing, it's just a badge. ..
Plenty wannabes waiting to take their place

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
The guys involved should be locked up for the rest of their lives
Dont worry about the S.F. thing, it's just a badge. ..
Plenty wannabes waiting to take their place
With respect, it is not just a piece of cloth. Just like airborne wings aren't just a piece of metal, and just like Le Kepi Blanc is not just a hat.

It's a symbol that you have done what few men could in this world, and you fought hard to earn that. Yeah many people have been to airborne school, but I went through a lot to get that contract, and faced my fear of heights to earn that tiny metal badge.

You can truly say, yes I earned that, in a world where money can buy just about anything, and you can own something. But earning it something else entirely.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Means nowt and all that will be remembered of them is that they are murderers. Dont do the crime if you can not do the time.
What do you want for them. ..a waiver?

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
As I previously stated, I think they should be punished for what they did, and stripped of their tridents. My argument was that the objects in question are not simply material, but represent blood, sweat, tears.

If you mess up, you should be held accountable and accept responsibility for the bad decision. No question.