a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My current workout routine

Reaction score
Home Country
India
Today recovery run.

I took the photo down at the request of FdG
On the topic of running, have you ever looked into minimalist or barefoot running?

I recently started, and it feels great. Granted I can't run as far as I used to or as often. My feet and muscles are still adjusting to this new experience, but it is still an enjoyable experience.

After my runs - which are completely barefoot - I slip my feet back into my shoes for the walk home and the shoes feel extremely cramped. It puts into perspective just how much traditional shoes restrict the movement of the foot.

Reaction score
Home Country
Italy
On the topic of running, have you ever looked into minimalist or barefoot running?

I recently started, and it feels great. Granted I can't run as far as I used to or as often. My feet and muscles are still adjusting to this new experience, but it is still an enjoyable experience.

After my runs - which are completely barefoot - I slip my feet back into my shoes for the walk home and the shoes feel extremely cramped. It puts into perspective just how much traditional shoes restrict the movement of the foot.

You know I have heard of them and would be curious to try them, but for a reason or another I never did. I am convinced that minimalistic shoes will improve your running form and I'd be curious to try them on short fast sessions like 10x400 mt intervals or more threshold ones. Nowadays however I mostly do long runs so I shy away from shoes with no cushioning at all for fear of pounding my legs too much. Now I mostly run on Cloudflows by On, they do have a smaller drop than usual (6 mm) and not much cushioning, very responsive. Those are also my racing flats. I'd like to bring a pair of those with me at Aubagne as trainers but I am not sure mostly because these pods on the sole that On uses in its shoes tend to collect a lot of dirt and stones from the road and I expect a lot of trail running there so might be unpractical.

Which brand of minimalistic did you try?

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom

Worked for Zola Budd !

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
You know I have heard of them and would be curious to try them, but for a reason or another I never did. I am convinced that minimalistic shoes will improve your running form and I'd be curious to try them on short fast sessions like 10x400 mt intervals or more threshold ones. Nowadays however I mostly do long runs so I shy away from shoes with no cushioning at all for fear of pounding my legs too much. Now I mostly run on Cloudflows by On, they do have a smaller drop than usual (6 mm) and not much cushioning, very responsive. Those are also my racing flats. I'd like to bring a pair of those with me at Aubagne as trainers but I am not sure mostly because these pods on the sole that On uses in its shoes tend to collect a lot of dirt and stones from the road and I expect a lot of trail running there so might be unpractical.

Che vive sperando crepa cagando !

Reaction score
Home Country
India

I purchased a pair of Vivobarefoot Primus Lite, but they have yet to arrive.

I have spent the last month running barefoot, getting my muscles and foot accustomed to it. I run on pavement, and have had no issues with landing impact. I find that landing, take-off, and cadence is far better barefoot than with my running shoes (Nike Flex Experience). I had some pains in my lower back when I ran in my shoes - which I attributed to muscle fatigue from weight training, but since running barefoot, I have not experienced it at all.

I mostly did long runs in my shoes (10 kms) ,but now I am currently doing around 6 kms barefoot. I can't run as long or as often because of blisters on the sole. I'm still developing a nice callus. However, I am doing the 6 in a much faster time while exerting around the same "easy pace" effort.

Reaction score
Home Country
India

There is so much I would like to tell you about this and my experience, but I feel I might bore you :) :sleep:

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
There is so much I would like to tell you about this and my experience, but I feel I might bore you :) :sleep:
I read a lot about this quite a few years ago when it became fashionable bit like the Hipsters hijacking cycling with their single speed vintage bikes, majority of bare feet runners were using this method in countries of loose terrain vast open planes not gravel and tarmac also it was financially driven via lack of resources or money not because it gave an advantage
Your “Plates of Meat” along with your gun/ rifle are what will keep you alive so my advise look after them if you do want to put them to use in a chosen job. I was taught as a junior soldier to and have done ever sense to treat my feet like gold, personally if your just into taking risks fine you cut your foot on the arch it will be painful could scar as tissue like a baby’s bun potentially fail Legion medical as you Feet are important all the research and trials are out their I watched the London marathon and watch triathlon on euro sport not once did I see a bare foot runner apart from enter and exit of the swim😀

Tonyus

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Romania
Yep, just like Tarantino would say, feet are priceless...

Reaction score
Home Country
India
I read a lot about this quite a few years ago when it became fashionable bit like the Hipsters hijacking cycling with their single speed vintage bikes, majority of bare feet runners were using this method in countries of loose terrain vast open planes not gravel and tarmac also it was financially driven via lack of resources or money not because it gave an advantage
Your “Plates of Meat” along with your gun/ rifle are what will keep you alive so my advise look after them if you do want to put them to use in a chosen job. I was taught as a junior soldier to and have done ever sense to treat my feet like gold, personally if your just into taking risks fine you cut your foot on the arch it will be painful could scar as tissue like a baby’s bun potentially fail Legion medical as you Feet are important all the research and trials are out their I watched the London marathon and watch triathlon on euro sport not once did I see a bare foot runner apart from enter and exit of the swim😀
So, I recommended the barefoot/minimalist running more as a lifestyle choice and for a healthier body. Of course, I don't expect to be doing any of this in during Legion training. And, yes you are right, it is imperative to take care of one's feet for a litany of reasons.

From a biomechanical point of view, barefoot running is sound. It encourages proper foot strike, instead of heel strikes. It also allows all the bones in the foot to flex and retract the way they are supposed to. And allows for "feedback" from the sensory nerves.

From the view of physics, it is also sound. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. Cushioned shoes cause a loss of power transfer between body and ground and this means less efficient running. If I remember correctly, tests should a 10% improvement in running efficiency when runners ran barefoot.

Speaking anecdotally, a while back I decided to do a track session. I found it hard to run 400m in 2 mins in shoes. I took of my shoes and did it in 1 min 30 secs with relative ease.
Your “Plates of Meat”
I assume you are referring to ligaments?

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
So, I recommended the barefoot/minimalist running more as a lifestyle choice and for a healthier body. Of course, I don't expect to be doing any of this in during Legion training. And, yes you are right, it is imperative to take care of one's feet for a litany of reasons.

From a biomechanical point of view, barefoot running is sound. It encourages proper foot strike, instead of heel strikes. It also allows all the bones in the foot to flex and retract the way they are supposed to. And allows for "feedback" from the sensory nerves.

From the view of physics, it is also sound. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. Cushioned shoes cause a loss of power transfer between body and ground and this means less efficient running. If I remember correctly, tests should a 10% improvement in running efficiency when runners ran barefoot.

Speaking anecdotally, a while back I decided to do a track session. I found it hard to run 400m in 2 mins in shoes. I took of my shoes and did it in 1 min 30 secs with relative ease.

I assume you are referring to
Plates of Meat , nothing complicated (Feet😂) everyone for themselves my point I was making was yes fine theirs a time and place if you need your feet for work protect them as I have read and understand the benefits bit like riding a bike with no saddle once you have had the seat tube up you ass you may reconsider why!

Reaction score
Home Country
Italy
I purchased a pair of Vivobarefoot Primus Lite, but they have yet to arrive.

I have spent the last month running barefoot, getting my muscles and foot accustomed to it. I run on pavement, and have had no issues with landing impact. I find that landing, take-off, and cadence is far better barefoot than with my running shoes (Nike Flex Experience). I had some pains in my lower back when I ran in my shoes - which I attributed to muscle fatigue from weight training, but since running barefoot, I have not experienced it at all.

I mostly did long runs in my shoes (10 kms) ,but now I am currently doing around 6 kms barefoot. I can't run as long or as often because of blisters on the sole. I'm still developing a nice callus. However, I am doing the 6 in a much faster time while exerting around the same "easy pace" effort.

That's interesting, I haven't walked around barefoot since my time in Australia working in farms 10 years ago. At the time it was something fashionable to do, even around Melbourne you could see people strolling barefoot. If I was in your shoes (no pun intended!) I would wait for the Vivobarefoot to arrive before trying anything longer than 6 kms, besides biomechanical considerations the risk of injury from glasses or stones is significant, and healing feet lesions is a pain.

Speaking about running form improvements. What made me transition from heel striker to forefoot striker was swimming. After I added regular visits at the university swimming pool to take freestyle lessons, I noticed immediately that my body started to shift position during my runs. I think what happened was my core muscles started developing giving tons of support to the legs.

jwaltos

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
We're in the Bahamas on business/vacation and I went on a jog I usually did pre Covid. I remembered one basic "almost" rule..jamais marcher. When we had to get somewhere fairly quickly as a group we would jog at steady clip, nothing fast, then once we covered a good distance and some of the weaker guys would start to falter we would change to a recuperation jog...slower and something like a "slide and glide" where everyone could regain their wind while still covering ground. At no point would we walk. Once everyone seemed in step and breathing better, the speed would ramp up to a steady jog again...wash, rinse and repeat...until we arrived at the rendezvous point. For this jog I my top speed was a faster than normal "slide and glide" and the temperature was high 80's low 90's in the full sunshine. A cold beer (or two) was nice when I finished after about 2 1/2 hrs. Personally, I never carry any water or other "stuff" during a jog, however, it's good to know where potable water is just in case.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
We're in the Bahamas on business/vacation and I went on a jog I usually did pre Covid. I remembered one basic "almost" rule..jamais marcher. When we had to get somewhere fairly quickly as a group we would jog at steady clip, nothing fast, then once we covered a good distance and some of the weaker guys would start to falter we would change to a recuperation jog...slower and something like a "slide and glide" where everyone could regain their wind while still covering ground. At no point would we walk. Once everyone seemed in step and breathing better, the speed would ramp up to a steady jog again...wash, rinse and repeat...until we arrived at the rendezvous point. For this jog I my top speed was a faster than normal "slide and glide" and the temperature was high 80's low 90's in the full sunshine. A cold beer (or two) was nice when I finished after about 2 1/2 hrs. Personally, I never carry any water or other "stuff" during a jog, however, it's good to know where potable water is just in case.
Good effort 2hrs in those temperatures. Respect as well to all who had to run in Corse - I have been there on holls , I ran down from my campsite to the entrance camp Rafelli - just for a look- I was desperate for water by the time I got back !! Also did a trail race in Carpineto - via Romana - this was as hard as they come- luckily water was provided - by a company called Orezza who’s grounds we ran through at one point - I think towards the end I did walk not even managing a slide & glide, that’s a good technique though.