a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ANSWERED A really complicated question I couldn't find an answer for

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
So for about one year I've been training so I could get the highest chance of being accepted my pullups and pushup count are very high and my endurance is pretty good. I wear glasses and I've saved up enough money to get eye surgery. There is one problem though that I hope you could help me on, I am 22, four years ago I decided that I wanted to join the USMC and eventually went to bootcamp. Well pretty much I was a very weak (mentally and physically) individual and bitched out. I met some guy who was getting out during chow and he told me if I wanted to get out all I had to do was say I wanted to commit suicide to a CO. Well eventually I did they made me talk to a physiologist who sent me back cause he could tell I was lying. For some fucking reason I decided that I'm not going back there and told him I had a history of coping with depression and he was like "Well now I got to discharge you". It was not until a month later that I realized how bad I messed up. I tried to tell an Army recruiter he believed me but pretty much told me there is no way I was going I'm getting a waiver. I just wanted to know if I go to France and tell them this story will the recruiters think it's a lie and as a result I get disqualified. Does the legion accept people like me or instantly turn them away?

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
If you say what you just said here, save yourself the time, money, and effort period.
Wasn't planning going there and telling them that I thought they had access to records so they could see the stupid shit i've done in the past.

Reaction score
Home Country
Pakistan
Wasn't planning going there and telling them that I thought they had access to records so they could see the stupid shit i've done in the past.

Well, no.
They won't have full access to your past unless you're a criminal of course.

These are two separate institutions of two separate countries.

So you're good to go.

Hope you are ready!

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
Hello Parg,
I not sure does it still stands, but a little bit old statistics says 1 out of 12 passes selection.

As you stated, you changed your mind once (USMC) - can you guaranty it won't happen again?
Terms like "depression" , have no place in any army base or organisation and shouldn't be played with. No need to explain why.

If that's what you really want, prepare yourself the best you can and grab your chance.
(if you are sure that is for you!)

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Hello Parg,
I not sure does it still stands, but a little bit old statistics says 1 out of 12 passes selection.

As you stated, you changed your mind once (USMC) - can you guaranty it won't happen again?
Terms like "depression" , have no place in any army base or organisation and shouldn't be played with. No need to explain why.

If that's what you really want, prepare yourself the best you can and grab your chance.
(if you are sure that is for you!)
Hello, thank you for the information, 4 years ago when I did change my mind it was probably the first time I had ever faced something like that never had a job had it easy didnt know what the real world was like I was mentally and physically weak now that I've grown up I realized the great opportunity I had and threw it away like it was nothing I regret it daily and have had time to think about this for 3 years and the stupid decision I made. I faked I had "depression" said I had something that I didn't I was a coward. I plan to fix the mistake I made years ago.

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
Parg,
If it sounded like I am judging you - it was not my intention. Just gave an opinion.

Hope you find what you are looking for!

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Are you sure you not gonna change your mind once you are in FFL. From what I heard it's more common for people to leave FFL than US Marines.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Are you sure you not gonna change your mind once you are in FFL. From what I heard it's more common for people to leave FFL than US Marines.
Well I have been training for this for a while I plan on not leaving anything could happen if i get accepted and the acceptance rate is 1 in 12 then because of me 11 others couldnt join or had to wait if I was given an opportunity like that I wouldnt give it up.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
They h

They have no access to any of those records, seriously doubt it.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States

You do not have the option to go Civil from the Marine Corps, you may choose that, but the way you choose to do it will haunt you forever.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
You do not have the option to go Civil from the Marine Corps, you may choose that, but the way you choose to do it will haunt you forever.
USMCRET, I think that that is the same in the legion. Nowadays you can ask to go civvy :eek: in the olden days you had to desert. Either way you will always regret it. You will tell your grand children that you regret your decision and if it was to do it all over again...:cry::sleep:
Parg, listen mate, before you waste a lot of money going to France and then regretting it:
Ask yourself why you left the USMC, do you think that the legion will be any better?
Are you fully committed to spending 5 years in the legion -FULLY COMMITTED.

As for why you left the USMC, I'd keep that to yourself and not mention it the 'gestapo'. Come up with another reason and stick to it.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
So for about one year I've been training so I could get the highest chance of being accepted my pullups and pushup count are very high and my endurance is pretty good. I wear glasses and I've saved up enough money to get eye surgery. There is one problem though that I hope you could help me on, I am 22, four years ago I decided that I wanted to join the USMC and eventually went to bootcamp. Well pretty much I was a very weak (mentally and physically) individual and bitched out. I met some guy who was getting out during chow and he told me if I wanted to get out all I had to do was say I wanted to commit suicide to a CO. Well eventually I did they made me talk to a physiologist who sent me back cause he could tell I was lying. For some fucking reason I decided that I'm not going back there and told him I had a history of coping with depression and he was like "Well now I got to discharge you". It was not until a month later that I realized how bad I messed up. I tried to tell an Army recruiter he believed me but pretty much told me there is no way I was going I'm getting a waiver. I just wanted to know if I go to France and tell them this story will the recruiters think it's a lie and as a result I get disqualified. Does the legion accept people like me or instantly turn them away?
If you can´t handle the Marines how will you handle the Legion? Grass aint always Greener on the other side Bro. "some Guy told you at Chow"... sorry but i don´t think you are mature enough for any Army/Marines or mentally Ready. Could change in a few years. maybe a couple of years down the road but for now join a BJJ Dojo. sorry but my opinion bro...

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Boot Camp really is the easiest part of the whole thing, Legion or the Marine Corps. The hard part is the day in and day out life on active duty. The hurry up and wait, boredom, cleaning, the PT, and all of the mundane things that really make up a disciplined fighting force. Living the life and accepting what you chose to do is on you. Sure I heard the bitching and moaning of the 4-year Lance Corporal and the response was get hard or get out,

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Boot Camp really is the easiest part of the whole thing, Legion or the Marine Corps. The hard part is the day in and day out life on active duty. The hurry up and wait, boredom, cleaning, the PT, and all of the mundane things that really make up a disciplined fighting force. Living the life and accepting what you chose to do is on you. Sure I heard the bitching and moaning of the 4-year Lance Corporal and the response was get hard or get out,
yes..100% correct. My recruiting Sgt put it this way when i was joining, "The Good Days will outshine the Bad Days". I just laughed but he was correct.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
USMCRET, I think that that is the same in the legion. Nowadays you can ask to go civvy :eek: in the olden days you had to desert. Either way you will always regret it. You will tell your grand children that you regret your decision and if it was to do it all over again...:cry::sleep:
Parg, listen mate, before you waste a lot of money going to France and then regretting it:
Ask yourself why you left the USMC, do you think that the legion will be any better?
Are you fully committed to spending 5 years in the legion -FULLY COMMITTED.

As for why you left the USMC, I'd keep that to yourself and not mention it the 'gestapo'. Come up with another reason and stick to it.
I would not be able to leave my tank, could not desert her 😥