a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Medical training

ucsbrower

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I've been planning to join the FFL after college for over a year now. I picked up an EMT class a couple months ago, and am actually near the top of the class because I've found it super interesting. Anyway getting to the point, does having that sort of training make it more likely they'll send you in a medic direction?

Old Adj

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
I've been planning to join the FFL after college for over a year now. I picked up an EMT class a couple months ago, and am actually near the top of the class because I've found it super interesting. Anyway getting to the point, does having that sort of training make it more likely they'll send you in a medic direction?

Try using the search function on the forums, most questions have already been asked in the past.

Any training that you've had is not taken into account in the FFL. Everybody claims to be Commando or Elite or Medic or have some sort of specific training and dodgy certificates are so easy to obtain over internet these days. They don't have the time to check out everyone so they just don't take it into account. They may, however, give you an aptitude test to see if you have any ability in the field that you are speaking about.

a1b2c3

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Nations
As Old Adj has said...this topic and many others have been covered in this forum ad nauseum. Please use the search function.

If you get to selection, pass selection, pass instruction, and earn your kepi blanc...then perhaps any diplomas and certifications that you brought might become relevant. Until then, you are (and will be) treated no different then anyone else...no matter if you used to be a ditch digger or a professor of high-energy physics. It will most likely not be of any relevance to your selection.

The road before you become a functional legionnaire is long and hard...you will have the language to learn, military skills to learn and be proficient at, regimental lifestyle adjustments that need to be squared away, and a plethora of other things that will be more prevalent in your daily life than any specialized skills. So the Legion does not assign incoming legionnaires a MOS (borrowing the US military designation), that comes much later.

Finish your EMT training...if you make it far enough in the Legion for it to be relevant again, then it might come in useful. No guarantees...if nothing else, you will have something to fall back on if you do not make it.