a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Something that bugs me once in a while.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I think that Volt is taking the photo of himself in a mirror, saying that when I was in Castel there was a Cch in the PMs who had lost his right arm, he was authorized to salute with his left hand.

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
To clarify, my demonstration of the salute is not quite correct.
The position of the thumb is, but the position of arm and wrist are not quite right.
You guys will have to live with that.;)

Don Pedro

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
Indeed, the geometry isn't puuurrfect, total lack of the 90° from the hairy armpit and the 15° towards the 'imaginary' button... Gosh, i think i will survive that. :D

Oleg84

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
"It is in the little details that the Devil makes his nest !"

In my time, a "bad" salute was a sure way to be punished. It was not a physical punishment, not a flogging as has been mentioned recently, simply a good old ‘Croatian bridge’ : the punished legionnaire was told to for a bridge with his body, using as only pillar his feet and his bare head. The hands had to be crossed behind the back. It was awful, especially when we were told to do it on a concrete floor !!!

We always saluted correctly, that was the great difference with "la régulière".

We were told a few times to do the same. On the Farm. I didn't see that afterwards. But we did get threaten in the regiment with it. ;)
And concrete isn't as big problem for me as gravel is. I think I still have a few stones in my skull. :D
O, and one of our caporals referred to is as samurai. "Position samurai". Others sometimes called it "Japonais". So I would very much like to hear more about "Croatian bridge"? :D
And to get back on the subject, we were told a lot of times that our thumbs must be crooked and NOT straight. Some got punished pretty hard after they didn't comply first few times when they were told...

Samtoo

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
The Tropic of Mexico...near Little Havana.
Home Country
United States
They should have read the TTA 102 and study the photos a bit better. "crooked thumbs", Bah!
Our right thumb HAD to be bent... From the time of instruction to saluting the general in Aubagne. I never knew anything different. Our captain and colonel did spread their fingers... Patrick explained why. We were in the REC but were Legionnaires and not uniquely ‘cavalry’.

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Well, it seems that various things have changed since 1959-1964 :)

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
If I meet him in the hereafter, I will tell him because I am sure that I still will be annoyed by it. Now I like to hear from to new guys, how is the salute now be taught during instruction, crooked or straight (gay or hetero);)

SLehman

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Some great photographs of some great soldiers. Nobody will complain that any of these soldiers/officers aren't rending an exemplary salute, the moments of the photos are far more important. I don't think any of these fine warriors will make it into the photo section of the manual of drill and ceremonial, not with those photos anyways.

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
In order to let everybody know what I mean by a "Croatian Bridge", I created an album about this form of punishment. On one of the pictures, a legionnaire, a friend of mine is giving a demo. This comrade had been punished for "lack of respect of his uniform" because his shirt was not well ironed and his boots were not shiny : 30 minutes of Croatian Bridge, on the concrete floor (gravel must be worse, I agree) while reciting the Code of Honor with a strong emphasis on the respect of the uniform (cause of his punishment) and chanting "Le Boudin" in cycles ! For the demo, my comrade kept his beret !!! He did not have it during the punishment.

https://www.cervens.net/legionbbs123/attachment.php?attachmentid=5597&d=1456493588

On the other picture, I show two Malian soldiers punished in a similar (but worse) fashion.

https://www.cervens.net/legionbbs123/attachment.php?attachmentid=5598&d=1456493613

Oleg84

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
Wow. On rocks? That's gotta hurt. :D And, trust me, half an hour lasts for days in this position...
Thanks for the info, but I was more intrested in origin of the name, if you have some knowledge of that. :)

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Wow. On rocks? That's gotta hurt. :D And, trust me, half an hour lasts for days in this position...
Thanks for the info, but I was more intrested in origin of the name, if you have some knowledge of that. :)

On rocks it was for the two Malian soldiers. I don't know of any legionnaire punished so severely : this looks more like torture !
I don't know where the name comes from, I only know that our CCH was from these parts of the world and considered that discipline in his country was better. It is probably for these reasons that he gave it that name and gave from time to time the order "you, 15 minutes Croatian bridge". I also had to do it once, but only during 15 minutes and without singing. Only the Code ! I can confirm that it hurts ! 30 minutes w&as an exception, but my comrade had really a general "bad" behavior, in the eyes of this chief ! Nevertheless, he survived and made a picture of it !

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
Thanks for the info. Surprised a bit with the part "...considered that discipline in his country was better", cause I served in 98/99 and I don't share the feeling. I thought that crooked thumb was correct in LLE ; everyones 2 cents explained and cleared the situation. I'm a bit confused with everybody doing it "their way", but if it is a part of tradition depending on the unit.. ok.

Don Pedro

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
The 'story' behind the "crooked thumb", started when the FAMAS arrived (i suppose) and the amount of psycho-motoric challenged, that flourish the Armed Forces (all ranks), that something had to be done, for these 'poor' souls. To 'crook the thumb' requires a little 'effort', while just let it hang along all natural, requires, ZERO, effort (but that can be a rather big strain and effort... to some). Who said we don't 'accommodate' and make things easier, for people that have a hard time to get it right the first time? Muahaha (Mocking laugh)! ;)

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Surprised a bit with the part "...considered that discipline in his country was better", cause I served in 98/99 and I don't share the feeling.

That was HIS impression, or at least the message HE wanted to convey to we, poor "young legionnaires" !

Anyway, when we were further down and when our training became more serious, we still had the same CCH and things were much better with him, but he never accepted a crooked thumb during the salute !

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
That gentleman is far more qualified than I am, no question there. It looks pretty painful, however reminded me of neck and spine exercises that boxers use, sort of "neck push ups".

Samtoo

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
The Tropic of Mexico...near Little Havana.
Home Country
United States
I hope you are kidding. The crooked thumb salute was taught during instruction in 1977, predating the FAMAS. The same bent thumb was for both hands at garde-à-vous (attention).
Not to change the subject, but what is your 'story' concerning the up turned bill of the kepi?
Check here and look at the photo taken during the ceremony for the change of CO (capitaine) at the 2e escadron... The perfect bent thumb salute! To all who say otherwise...Get Bent!!