a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QUESTION (test) Should the Legion open its gates to immigrants?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Do you think that la Légion étrangère should open its gates to candidates who arrive in France without papers?

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
I arrived in the Legion without any papers at all. Worked out OK. I reckon the Legion is clever enough to know which ones to accept, papers or not.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
I can't vote.

No, I think opening gate for illegal immigrants isn't good idea. First isn't fair for all other guys who need all papers, get background check etc. Without papers they can lie about their age, criminal past... Almost everything. Also I'm pretty sure that not many of them are willing to serve.
That may worked in XIXth century, but couldn't work today.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I assume in the Legion they have sensitive areas where not just anyone can work. you need to check peoples backgrounds. The situation today is not like the 50s.

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
I can't either. Guys try to vote and let us or rather the Boss know if you can or cannot (on the left of the screen.
It shows that 5 members voted, but does not show. To see how many did vote, click on the zero.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
An asinine suggestion. Completely daft in my opinion.

Reaction score
Home Country
Moldova
No, because Arab immigrants come to Legion to get training and then fight for ISIS. No Muslims in the Legion.

Crawdad

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Depends on what you mean by "papers". Obviously, you need to know who the guy is, so if by "papers" you mean a passport or some form of valid ID, sure. I don't believe, however, that a visa necessarily has to be an absolute requirement.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Can't vote either. I get a message "You do not have permission to vote for this answer", whatever answer I'm trying to vote for.

boss

Admin
Reaction score
Home Country
France
Ok vote system should work now...

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Just a question about the trophy. When I clicked on it, it gave the person who the trophy was next to as the winner, and the question as answered.
Is this because I am the originator of the question?
Other remark, I notice that both you and SnafuSmite have one point each, however on the "Best answers" it still says 0 (zero).

jwaltos

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Join the Legion with real I.D.to be given fake I.D....just saying
I did and it worked at the time and I still remember the back story..my dear mother Aloise. Mind you I had to cross a border or two without papers later to get my papers and other borders without documents but with enough cash to get in and out regularly but.. as you said ...just saying
Some people are lucky to make it out of certain places and if they are fortunate enough to know about the existence of the Legion then I am all for letting them through the gates. There are many who are a risk but as long as they pass the tests and are able to hold their own thats good enough. If they act like a clown when inside the gates then there are remedies ranging from minor to permanent and immediate or delayed as the circumstances warrant.

Last edited: